WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Sunday, April 23, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Call to Worship and Prayer
We Choose To Love
Colossians 3:17 (Let the Words...)
OUR LIFE TOGETHER
Congregational Life and Prayer
Beyond our Doors: “Abundant Harvest”
Offertory – Part of the Story
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Congregational Song – Circle of God's People
Scripture Reading: John 20:19-23
Sermon: “Four Words to Go By”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Closing Song – Go in Peace
Worship Leader ~ Val Peters
Beyond our Doors ~ Ed Peters
Sermon ~ Victor Kliewer
Children's Story ~ Anne Froese
Song Leaders/Worship Music ~ Scott and Kendra Friesen
Sound ~ Gerry Sapinsky
Sun. May 7, 1:00 p.m. Congregational Meeting - After gathering for a potluck lunch (finger food) following our worship service, we will meet in the foyer. The agenda contains three items: pastoral search update, draft organisational chart presentation and discussion regarding children's/youth programming for fall.
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian and Anne Kasdorf in Bethesda Hospital
· Peter Toews who is travelling to Paraguay
God’s blessing on Anne Unger who will celebrate her birthday on April 25th and Susie Enns who will celebrate her birthday on April 27th.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Ushers and Offering Tellers Meeting today after the service in MPR.
Wed. April 26, the church office will be closed due to an in-service day for church administrative assistants.
We pray a blessing for Federic & Samantha Hiebert as we honour their request to be released from their membership at SMC.
During the month of May we will have a “coin offering” each Sunday in support of our Abundant Harvest Community Growing Project, (goes into the account of MCC at the Canadian Foodgrains Bank).
If you are interested in the story of Michael Sharp, a current story of a man killed because of his love for Jesus and his desire to build peace in a violent part of this world, there is a letter about his journey on the bulletin board in the foyer.
If you are able to help the Refugee Fund financially we ask that you please specify "Refugee Committee" on your offering envelope. If you are able to help with rides to the doctor and/or work, please contact Eric & Mary Rempel. Thank you so much!
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. April 24, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. April 25, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
May 6, 7:45 a.m. Men's Prayer Breakfast at Uncle Jake's Restaurant.
Speaker: Henry Dueck, M.C.: Homer Janzen. Come and bring a friend!
8:30 a.m. Sunbeams Birthday Breakfast at Smitty’s
May 6, 9:00 a.m. Pick Up & Walk registration deadline is April 23. Sign up at the Welcome Centre. For more info call Dave Funk.
June 4, SMC Annual Golf Tournament. For more info contact Elmer Kehler.
Jr. Youth - Wed. April 26, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. Year End Party
April 16 - 22, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 5061.10 MCC: $100.00 Refugee: $400.00
for March 2017
Last Year YTD
| || |
| || |
Thank you, SMC Congregation for your generous support and faithful commitment to our shared goal. We are well on the way to meet our expenses and our budget.
CONFERENCE AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
May 7, 7:00 p.m. Eastman Male Choir Spring Concert at Grace Mennonite Church. See poster for details.
“The Bible, the Faith Community, and Same-Sex Relationships”
Steinbach Mennonite Church Adult Education Course
March 19-May 14, 2017 (Revised Program)
In the past year there has been much discussion about the issue of same-sex relationships—within our congregation and within our conferences, Mennonite Church Canada and Mennonite Church Manitoba. As a result the Faith and Life Council of SMC planned the following course.
The seven-week course began March 19 and is scheduled to continue in the adult education hour (9:30-10:30 a.m.) to May 14. We have made adjustments to the program as it developed and now can offer the following revised outline. May God’s Spirit continue to be present and guide us in this challenging topic!
1. Sunday, March 19 Introduction by Pastor Victor Kliewer
Irma Fast Dueck, Canadian Mennonite University, “Talking about difficult issues: homosexuality” (Video)
2. Sunday, March 26 Gerald Gerbrandt, CMU, “Biblical perspectives on homosexuality”
3. Sunday, April 9 John H. Neufeld, “On Being the Church: a Garden, a Body, and a Table” (Video)
4. Sunday, April 23 Val Hiebert, “Inter-Sexual Realities and the Church: Lessons from Science”
5. Sunday, April 30 Personal experiences of family members:
Linda Peters, Wilf Sawatzky, and Victor Kliewer
Sermon, 10:45 a.m. Phil Campbell Enns, “Signposts for the Journey” – a pastor’s perspective on questions of human sexuality.
6. Sunday, May 7 “Listening to LGBTQ Voices in the church”
(Video of reflections by a variety people who love the church)
7. Sunday, May 14 Michael Pahl, “Suggestions for moving forward” (Video of MCM presentation, 2016) Course evaluation and wrap-up
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – April 23, 2017
· The Pilgrimage for Indigenous Rights begins today (April 23). To follow their progress, check out Facebook at www.facebook.com/pfirCanada/. Thank you for your prayers and support.
· Read about Mennonite Women Canada’s new President and Secretary-Treasurer, as well as updates about their projects and what women across Canada are involved in. All this and more in Mennonite Women Canada’s latest newsletter now available on CommonWord: www.commonword.ca/go/1168
· Future Directions: Check out a progress report and a link to a survey about international Witness ministry at http://www.futuredirectionsmc.ca. All are welcome to participate in the survey!
· Emerging Voices Initiative needs your help to send youth delegates to the special Mennonite Church Assembly Oct. 13-15. Donate today to help youth delegates attend Assembly 2017. https://donate.mennonitechurch.ca/project/EVI-Youth2017
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· Delegates will be gathering at The Meeting House in Oakville, ON for MCEC’s Annual Church Gathering on April 28-29. The theme is “The Great ReCommission.” Delegates will be offering feedback on the Future Directions proposal for being a national church as well as participating in worship sessions and a variety of workshops. Please pray for a re-energizing of our commitment to each other as together we explore the new realities of being church in a secular neighbourhood, a deepening of our willingness to be shaped and formed by the movement of the Spirit among us, and wisdom and vision as we respond to the Future Directions proposal.
MCM Church Bulletin Announcements
Women Encountering Jesus Saturday April 29th 9:00-4:30pm You are invited by Mennonite Women Manitoba to come spend a day together exploring stories of women’s encounters with Jesus then and now. Our day will include: worship, engagement with a variety of spiritual practices, storytelling, lunch and introduction to resources for the journey. Resource Person is Spiritual Director Laura Funk. Register online at: www.mennochurch.mb.ca or call 204-896-1616 and ask for Kathy Giesbrecht. Registration is $50.00. Location; Bethel Mennonite Church in Winnipeg.
Laughter is Sacred Space; The Human Faces Tour is coming to Winnipeg! Saturday May 13th 7:00pm at the Douglas Mennonite Church. Free admission with offering taken for Eden Mental Health. Hosted by MCM Youth Groups and Leadership Ministries this Ted&Co production tells the true story about the joy and pain of a life full of paradoxes as Ted walks us through his journey working with a comedic partner struggling with bipolar disorder; and after Lee’s death, performing Biblical stories while experiencing the profound absence of God. Evening includes; Performance, Q&A with Ted and Youth Group Hosted Snack Tables.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for April 23, 2017
Hosts needed - MCC is seeking host families for two male participants in IVEP (International Volunteer Exchange Program) for an 11 month period beginning in September. Host families are needed in the Fort Garry and Central Winnipeg areas and/or neighbourhoods with good access to bus routes. For more information, visit http://mccmanitoba.ca/ivep and contact Katie Froese at 204-925-1929 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Eastman Male Choir Spring Concert
May 7, 2017, 7 pm, 430 Third Street, Steinbach
You are invited to the Eastman Male Choir's spring concert at Grace Mennonite Church in Steinbach. The concert will feature contemporary women's chorus Accent as special guests as well as guest speaker MCC Manitoba Executive Director Darryl Loewen. A freewill offering will support the work of MCC. Visit http://mccmb.ca/eastman-choir-concert for more information.
You Are Invited to the 19th Annual Providence Golf Classic! Tuesday, June 13th, 11:00am, Quarry Oaks Golf Course. Visit www.prov.ca/golf to register. Start the day with a BBQ, spend the afternoon on the course, then enjoy an exquisite dinner. Funds raised will go towards Impact 2020. This campaign focuses on enhancing the student experience at Providence. Our students are "difference-makers" and your involvement in the Providence Classic can be transformative for our students and for the world in which they serve.
Canadian Mennonite University
1. All are invited to the CMU Graduation Service: Sunday, April 23 at 2:30 PM, Immanuel Pentecostal Church, 955 Wilkes Ave. The graduation address will be given by Adrian Jacobs on the theme “Who are you in a kairos moment?”
Consider enrolling in a one-week, spring course through CMU’s Graduate School of Theology and Ministry or Canadian School of Peacebuilding. Among others, course options include Practices, Rituals and the Christian Imagination; Continuity and Change in Anabaptism; Journalism and Peacebuilding and Exploring the Refugee Challenge. Details at cmu.ca.
3. Online registration is now open for CMU Blazers Summer Sports Camps 2017!
· August 8-11: Junior (grades 4-6) multisport camp
· August 14-18: Youth (grades 8-10) volleyball and basketball camps
· August 21-25: Junior High (grades 6-8) volleyball and basketball camps
4. CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre presents an afternoon with Palmer Becker, pastor, author and educator, Friday May 5, 3:00-4:00 PM at Marpeck Commons. Becker will be launching his new book Anabaptist Essentials published by Herald Press. Explore the core values of Jesus, community and reconciliation in this concise guide on Anabaptist faith and life. For more information go to www.commonword.ca/go/1129.
5. Canadian Mennonite University invites inquiries and applications for the full-time salaried position of Maintenance Technician 2. Applications should be submitted immediately and will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until this position is filled. Please share this opportunity with suitable candidates. Inquiries should be directed to Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com or 204-594-0532.