WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Sunday, May 7, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Come, now is the time to worship
HWB 43 Christ is our cornerstone
In Christ alone
OUR LIFE TOGETHER
Congregational Life and Prayer
Beyond our Doors: Steinbach Community Outreach
Offering, including Coin Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD’S WORD
Congregational Song ~ God loves all his many children
Scripture Reading ~ Rom. 8:28 . . . 39
Sermon ~ “What are our Essentials?”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Closing Song ~ Wings of an eagle
Worship Leader ~ Eric Rempel
Sermon ~ Victor Kliewer
Beyond our Doors ~ Irene Kroeker
Children's Story ~ Eric Rempel
Song Leaders ~ Kendra and Scott Friesen, Toni and Kayla Hiebert
Piano ~ Toni Hiebert
Organist ~ Margarete Dyck
Sound ~ Dave Funk
Today, 1:00 p.m. Congregational Meeting - After gathering for a potluck lunch (finger food) following our worship service, we will meet in the foyer.
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian and Jacob P. Siemens in Bethesda Hospital
· Peter Dyck, Agnes Nikkel, Tina Nikkel, Jessie Peters, Frieda Wallman, Helen Warkentin, Anne Unger (Bethesda Place), Agnes Ketler (Niverville), Justina Rempel, (Maplewood), John Kathler (Bethania) Ben R. Dyck (Vita)
Our sympathies and prayer go to Agnes Nikkel on the death of her brother in law, John Kornelson, on April 30th.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Randy & Leona Hildebrand are transferring their membership to Springstein Mennonite Church today. We wish them God’s blessing in their new church home.
We pray a blessing for Jacob & Helen Sawatzky as we honour their request to be released from their membership at SMC.
During the month of May we will have a “coin offering” each Sunday in support of our Abundant Harvest Community Growing Project, (goes into the account of MCC at the Canadian Foodgrains Bank).
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, NO Family Volleyball due to Congregational Meeting
Mon. May 8, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. May 9, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
7:00 p.m. Vision Council Meeting in MPR
May 16, 7:00 p.m. Sunbeams Windup
May 27, 7:00 p.m. Arkbuilders meet in the kitchenette
June 4, SMC Annual Golf Tournament. Sign-up sheet at Welcome Centre.
May 1 - 7, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 10,470.00 Refugee: $1,150.00
May 7, 7:00 p.m. Eastman Male Choir Spring Concert at Grace Mennonite Church. See poster for details.
May 12 – 13, Camp Moose Lake Spring Work-a-thon. To RSVP or ask any questions, please contact the Resident Manager, Andrew Brown by email: email@example.com or phone: 1 (204) 437-2091. Please RSVP by May 8 so we can get an accurate food estimation.
May 14, 7:00 p.m. Generation Rising presents Double Portion concert at SMC. See poster for details.
June 8, 7:00 p.m. MCC Annual General Meeting at Emmanuel Mennonite Church (750 15th St. Winkler) Agenda posted on the bulletin board.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – May 7, 2017
- This Sunday, the Pilgrimage for Indigenous Rights starts the day at Through the Roof Ministry Centre, Flinton, ON. To follow their progress, check out Facebook at www.facebook.com/pfirCanada/.
Less than one week to go until the pilgrimage reaches Ottawa! Thank you for your prayers and support.
- The third special edition in the Intotemak trilogy is now available to pre-order from CommonWord. Copies of Quest for Respect: The Church and Indigenous Spirituality and the earlier two volumes, Wrongs to Rights and Yours, Mine, Ours can be purchased at www.commonword.ca. Great for a personal read or group study to better understand Indigenous-Settler relations.
- Citizens for Public Justice is an organization inspired by faith to act for public justice. CPJ is inviting churches to contribute to the government of Canada’s consultations on its Poverty Reduction Strategy via an easy-to-use online form via cpj.ca/cprs.
- Is harming creation compatible with Christian faith? Is a fossil fuel economy sustainable in a time of climate change? These questions will be tackled during a May 15-17 event, “Called to Peacemaking with All Creation,” hosted at Holyrood MC in Edmonton. Visit http://www.mennonitechurch.ab.ca/ for details.
- Emerging Voices Initiative needs your help to send youth delegates to the special Mennonite Church Assembly Oct. 13-15. Donate today to help youth delegates attend Assembly 2017. https://donate.mennonitechurch.ca/project/EVI-Youth2017
- Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
- Pray that the translation and publishing ministry of Bock Ki Kim and Sook Kyoung Park, Mennonite Church Canada Witness workers in Seoul, will encourage the faith, resilience and relationships of Mennonites and Anabaptists in South Korea.
Canadian Mennonite University
1. Are you looking for a year focused on discipleship and faith formation to better understand, know, and follow Jesus? Outtatown offers a discipleship year full of adventure, learning, service, travel, friendship, and faith development from a Biblical, Anabaptist perspective. There are still some spaces available for the 2017-2018 sites in South Africa, Guatemala, and Burkina Faso! Visit outtatown.com to learn more and apply.
2. Consider enrolling in a one-week, spring course through CMU’s Graduate School of Theology and Ministry or Canadian School of Peacebuilding. Among others, course options include Sustainable Business Models, Stewardship, Innovation and Social entrepreneurship; Human Rights and Indigenous Legal Traditions, and Practices for Transforming the Peacebuilder. Details at cmu.ca/gradcourses or cmu.ca/csop.
3. Online registration is now open for CMU’s Community School of Music & the Arts 2017-18 season. Classes include: individual lessons for any instrument, group voice, Musical Theatre, Music for Kids, Music for Young Children, Music Together (NEW for 0-3 years), Music Therapy Services. Note also the Summer Music Academy for Voice or Piano, July 17-28. Go to cmu.ca/csma for information and registration.
4. CMU Alumni – Get ready for “Dinner with Ted 4!” - the annual gathering of alumni and families enjoying Ted’s famous chicken fingers and fries. Friday, June 2, 5:00 – 7:00 PM. Gluten-free chicken fingers and a vegetarian option available. RSVP by Wednesday May 31 to Aaron Epp (firstname.lastname@example.org) or click “going” on the Facebook event page. Admission by donation to the CMU Alumni Bursary Fund which will be matched by a Manitoba government student bursary initiative.
5. Online registration is now open for CMU Blazers Summer Sports Camps 2017!
· August 8-11: Junior (grades 4-6) multisport camp
· August 14-18: Youth (grades 8-10) volleyball and basketball camps
· August 21-25: Junior High (grades 6-8) volleyball and basketball camps
6. Canadian Mennonite University invites inquiries and applications for the following full-time salaried positions:
· Administrative Coordinator, MSC
· Maintenance Technician 2
Applications should be submitted immediately and will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted until this position is filled. Inquiries should be directed to Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com or 204-594-0532. Thank you.
MC Manitoba Church Bulletin Announcements
- There are still spaces available for the MCM Birding Retreat, May 26-28 at Camp Moose Lake. Register by May 12: www.campswithmeaning.org/news/birding-retreat
- Camps with Meaning is in significant need of health officer (RN, LPN, EMR/EMT, MD) volunteers for this summer! Please contact the camp office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (204) 895-2267 if you or someone you know may be able to help!
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for May 7, 2017
MCC Manitoba Annual General Meeting - MCC Manitoba's AGM will be held on Thursday, June 8, 7 pm at Emmanuel Mennonite Church in Winkler. Join us to hear about developments in our program work and plans as well as a keynote address focused on experiences of trauma and resilience in migration. Member congregations may appoint one voting delegate per every 50 members but anyone is invited to attend. For more information and to register delegates, visit http://mccmb.ca/agm or contact Nikki Hamm at 204-261-6381 or email@example.com. Please register delegates by June 2.
MCC Canada welcomes applications for part-time HR Administrative Assistant (12 month term) based in Winnipeg. Applications are accepted until May 12. For more information and to apply, please visit https://mcccanada.ca/get-involved/serve/openings/hr-administrative-assistant-domestic-one-year-term.
MCC Haiti learning tour opportunity - Join us for a trip to this fascinating country while learning about MCC's work in hurricane/earthquake response, agro forestry, reforestation and more. Tour dates are from January 23-30, 2018. There will be an information meeting held at the MCC office at 134 Plaza Drive on May 15 starting at 7pm.
Cycle Clear Lake
Calling all cyclists! Come out to Riding Mountain National Park for a beautiful trail ride in support of MCC’s education work in Haiti on Saturday, July 1. Registration deadline is June 13. For more information and to register online visit http://mccmb.ca/cycleclearlake or phone Reinhold at 204-729-8335.
Ten Thousand Villages Henderson location welcomes new volunteers - Find out how you can make a difference by joining the Villages Henderson team. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the store at 1963 Henderson Hwy, Winnipeg for more information.