WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
July 2, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
Theme: “Passing on the Faith”
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome/Call to Worship
Sing the Journey 177
HWB 327 - Great is Thy Faithfulness
HWB 511 - God who Touches Earth with Beauty
HWB 338 - I Know Not Why
OUR LIFE TOGETHER
Beyond our Doors: Camps with Meaning video
Congregational Life and Prayer
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Congregational Song ~ STJ 79 - As I went Down to the River to Pray
Scripture Reading ~ Psalm 86:1-10, 1 Kings 8:56-61
Sermon ~ “The Potato Prayer”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Closing Song ~ HWB 322 - For we are strangers no more
Worship Leader ~ Margaret Rempel
Scripture ~ Victor Kliewer
Sermon ~ Margaret Rempel
Children's Story ~ Karen Peters
Song Leaders ~ Gerry Sapinsky, Marie Rempel, Rudy & Henriette Schellenberg
Pianist/Organist ~ Karen Peters
Sound ~ Dave Funk
In our worship services this summer we will be focusing on the theme
“Passing on the Faith.”
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian in Bethesda Hospital
· Peter Dyck, Agnes Nikkel, Tina Nikkel, Jessie Peters,
Helen Warkentin, Anne Unger (Bethesda Place),
Agnes Ketler (Niverville), Justina Rempel, (Maplewood)
God’s blessing on Frank Sawatzky who will celebrate his birthday on July 4th.
Our sympathies and prayers got to Daryl & Lois Climenhaga on the death of their father, David Climenhaga, on June 25th. Daryl was with him just a week before he died and was able to have a good visit with him.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
We’d like to thank Margaret Dyck for the splash of color in our planters!
We’re looking for volunteers to paint the former Community Outreach room sometime in July. Please contact Wilf Sawatzky for more info.
We pray a blessing for Angela Dyck and Toribio & Susan Penner as we honour their request to be released from their membership at SMC.
Next Sunday, July 9, members of Grace Mennonite Church will be visiting us for the first joint worship service of this summer. Everyone is invited to stay for our potluck lunch. We will be returning the visit to Grace on Sun., Aug. 6.
The summer camping program of Camps with Meaning is starting. Let us keep campers and camp staff members in our prayers. Staff members from SMC include Scott Friesen, Selenna and Mackenzie Hildebrand, and Leona Hildebrand is also employed at Camp Assiniboia
This coming Sat., July 8th, a busload of 30+ of our church members will be traveling to La Riviere MB to see the Passion Play. The bus will leave the church at 2:00 p.m. Some seats are still available on the bus. For more information or to register check with Dave Giesbrecht or Homer Janzen.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
June 25 - 30, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 9,135.00 MCC: $ 600.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. July 3, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. July 4, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
Sat. July 8, 8:30 a.m. Sunbeams Birthday Breakfast at Smitty’s
July 28, 10:30 a.m. Come & Go Coffee to meet Pastor Lee Hiebert and say good bye to Pastor Victor Kliewer in the church foyer. Lee begins his work on Aug. 1st.
During the summer months, June, July, and August, there will be no Sunday School. Worship services will continue to start at 10:45 a.m., followed by a finger food potluck lunch.
CONFERENCE AND COMMUNITY NEWS AND EVENTS
MC Canada Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to register for the Oct. 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in Winnipeg: http://www.cvent.com/d/c5q8ft
Camps with Meaning still has a number of volunteer needs for this summer. If you can help in the kitchen, on maintenance, or as a health officer for a week please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (204) 895-2267.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – July 2, 2017
· MC Canada Special Assembly Alert: Over the course of the summer, churches can expect to receive documents pertinent to the Special Assembly in Wpg. Oct. 13-15. Please be on the alert for a Future Directions Final Report, new bylaws for MC Canada, and a proposed budget for the re-organized structures.
· Save the date: The MC Canada Annual General Meeting will be held on the evening of July 12 and will be live streamed for those who wish to take part. A live stream link will be provided in a future announcement.
· Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to register for the October 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in Winnipeg: http://www.cvent.com/d/c5q8ft
· Get your bikes and feet tuned up for a fantastically fun national church bike-a-thon on Saturday, Sept. 30 in several locations across Canada. The Ride for Refuge is a family-friendly cycling/walking fundraiser that partners with churches and organizations who work with the displaced, vulnerable and exploited. Be a part of the “Mennonite Church Canada” team in support of the Witness workers of your choice. Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at email@example.com or (226) 747-1833.
· CMU serves the church, individuals, and pastors with many resources that can come to where you are to help your congregation flourish. Check out www.cmu.ca/cfl for more info. Thanks be to God for the many ways our schools help the church to thrive!
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· Pray for Mennonite Church Canada's Palestine and Israel Resolution Working Group as they continue to develop resources supporting the Palestine and Israel resolution passed at Assembly 2016 and nurture relationships among Palestinian and Jewish neighbours. May such efforts raise awareness and encourage action toward peace and justice today. Pray for open hearts and minds to receive new understandings of justice and peace in this conflicted land. See the congregational study, Pathways for Peace and Justice in Palestine and Israel at www.commonword.ca/go/1032 .
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for July 2, 2017
Volunteer with Summer Storytime at Sam’s Place, 159 Henderson Hwy! This kids summer program begins on July 4 and will run Tuesday through Friday, 10-11:30 am, throughout the summer. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Allison Wolf at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hosts needed - MCC Manitoba is seeking host families for two male participants in IVEP (International Volunteer Exchange Program) for an 11 month period beginning in September. Host families are needed in the Fort Garry and Central Winnipeg areas and/or neighbourhoods with good access to bus routes. For more information, visit http://mccmb.ca/ivep and contact Katie Froese at email@example.com or 204-925-1929.
Volunteer opportunity - MCC Manitoba is currently looking for a family with an interest in befriending a newcomer family in Winnipeg. If you would like to learn more about this opportunity, please contact Arisnel Mesidor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-925-1914.
MCC Manitoba welcomes applications for MCC Thrift Coordinator based in Winnipeg. Applications are accepted until July 4. For more information and to apply, please visit http://mcccanada.ca/get-involved/serve/openings/mcc-thrift-coordinator.
MCC Canada welcomes applications for National Indigenous Neighbours Program Coordinator. Applications are accepted until July 21. For more information and to apply, please visit http://mcccanada.ca/indigenous-neighbours-coordinator.
MC Manitoba Update
Camp staff training begins this weekend.
Please pray for Camps with Meaning this week as we hold our Staff Training Week at Camp Assiniboia. During this week up to 70 young people will gather together from over 30 congregations to build relationships, worship together, and be equipped for ministry this summer. Please join us in anticipation of the campers who will be coming through our doors very soon!
Interim Resident Manager at Camp Assiniboia
Scott Friesen, former Resident Manager at Camp Moose Lake, has begun as interim Resident Manager at Camp Assiniboia while David Hogue takes a well-earned break. Scott began on June 26 and will end on August 31.
146:Pathways to Treaty Relations – event video
Just over 100 people came out to learn about treaty at Lower Fort Garry, where Treaty 1 was signed. First we got an oral history of the treaty story, then teaching on how the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People can lead people of faith into new understanding. Videos of these presentations and other sharing are on the website: www.treatypathways.com
MCM staff helped plan and run this (first annual?) learning event.