WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Sept. 03, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
Theme: “Passing on the Faith”
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp Lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our faith, hope, and life.
Call to Worship and Prayer
STJ 1 We sing to you, O God
STJ 19 I will call upon the Lord
As we gather
Scripture reading: Psalm 50:1-8, 22-23
Prayer and Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
HWB 564 I am trusting thee, Lord Jesus
Scripture Reading – Hebrews 11:1-3, 8-16
Sermon: “Blind Faith?”
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
We walk by Faith
Beyond our Doors
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending: Colossians 3:17 (Let the words…)
Worship Leader ~ Darryl Climenhaga
Sermon ~ Lee Hiebert
Children's Story ~ Anne Froese
Song Leaders/Worship Music ~ Val & Ed Peters, Lyle Peters, Lavina Thiessen
Organist/Pianist ~ Karen Peters
Sound ~ Jac Siemens
Multimedia ~ Kayla Hiebert
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian and Corny Nikkel in Bethesda Hospital
· Peter Dyck, Agnes Nikkel, Tina Nikkel, Jessie Peters, Justina Rempel, Helen Warkentin, Anne Unger (Bethesda Place), Agnes Ketler (Niv.)
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
We are in need of 2 ushers. Please contact Henry Krahn if you’re able to help.
Sept. 24, Camp Moose Lake Closing Celebration. We are planning a bus trip to the celebration. Sign-up sheet is at the Welcome Centre. Please bring a bag lunch to church. We will leave after lunch. Contact Dave Funk for more info.
Steinbach Community Outreach moved upstairs and is excitedly initiating its new space on Tues. Sept. 5th. An open house will be held on Gathering Sun., Sept. 10th. SCO will use the outside kitchenette entrance.
If you have items you'd like to contribute to our Thanksgiving display, please leave them in the classroom off of the sanctuary (west side) and let Lavina Thiessen or June Snider know.
There is a 75th anniversary display in the Multipurpose Room.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
Aug. 27 - 31, 2017 – Our giving: $ 3,250.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Tues. Sept. 5, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
Thurs. Sept. 7 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Sat. Sept 9. 7:45 a.m. Men’s Prayer Breakfast at Uncle Jake’s. Lee Hiebert will share. We’ve tweaked the program. Come see what God is changing.
8:30a.m. Sunbeams Birthday Breakfast at Smitty's
Sept. 10, 10:45a.m. Gathering Sunday with Installation Service for Lee Hiebert followed by celebration potluck lunch. Please bring a large casserole or salad or dessert.
Sept. 11, 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
Sept. 12, 7:00 p.m. Church Board Meeting in MPR
Sept. 19, 6:30 p.m. Sunbeams Salad Potluck in the kitchenette. All ladies welcome.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – September 3, 2017
· Special Delegate Assembly 2017 (Oct. 13-15, Wpg.): Discernment Documents are now available at www.futuredirectionsmc.ca. These documents share important background and proposals for the re-organization of our Five Area Churches and MC Canada. Register for Special Assembly by September 8 and save $$. Register online at http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
· How is your congregation adapting to changes in society? Culture shifts are opportunities for congregations to transform themselves and adjust to new realities. Download the short Covenant New Conversation Starter to stimulate your thinking: http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017
· We need your voices! Youth are wanted at the 2017 Special Delegate Assembly, held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Emerging Voices Initiative (EVI) is partnering with Mennonite Church Canada to invite financial support available to any youth interested in attending the gathering, with no need to apply. EVI will also be providing youth programming related to the Future Directions process. For more information and to donate, visit https://donate.mennonitechurch.ca/project/EVI-Youth2017.
· Volunteers needed! Mennonite Church Canada is seeking volunteers for the 2017 Special Delegate Gathering held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Interested potential volunteers please email email@example.com. For more information on this gathering, visit http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
· Celebrate the 13 Teams that have already registered for Ride for Refuge Team on Saturday, Sept. 30! Become a team captain and encourage the ministry of Witness workers who live far from home and families as they serve the church through International Ministry. Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (226) 747-1833.
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· Thanks be to God for Brad Leitch of Rebel Sky Media, who produced a documentary recording the shared experience of non-Indigenous and Indigenous walkers participating in the Pilgrimage for Indigenous Rights, April 23 - May 13, 2017. The Pilgrimage advocated for the adoption and implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People. Watch the video at https://youtu.be/0soSTguQ4JQ .
MC Manitoba Update
Congregations are formally welcoming new staff into leadership during worship. Please pray for these transitions. Feel free to note them in your announcements, or pray for them during worship.
Sept. 10 Lee Hiebert / Lead Pastor / Steinbach Mennonite
Sept 17 Dale Friesen / Pastor for Youth and Young Adults / Douglas Mennonite
Oct. 1 Marvin Thiessen / Lead Pastor / North Kildonan Mennonite
TBD Cheryl Braun / Interim Pastor / Glenlea Mennonite
Mennonite Church Manitoba is accepting applications for the position of Associate Program Director of Camping Ministries (APD). The APD oversees all aspects of our summer and winter programs and provides on-going support and training to all summer program staff and volunteers. This is a 1.0 fte position. The application deadline is September 21, 2017. For more information please visit our “News” page at www.campswithmeaning.org.
Camp Assiniboia Square Dance and Pie Spectacular Fundraiser. September 30, 6:30-9:00pm in the barn at Camp Assiniboia. No dancing skills required. Bring your family and extra toonies for the pie walk... We will need pies. campswithmeaning.org, News for more info.
Camp Moose Lake: Come celebrate the ministry, come say good-bye. September 24, 2017 at Camp Moose Lake. Worship and reminiscing start at 2:30pm, BBQ supper, stay as late as you need. No RSVP necessary. More info at www.mennochurch.mb.ca
Canadian Mennonite University Events and Opportunities for Church Bulletins
1. Celebrate Stories of CMU Distinguished Alumni - Join us for an evening of alumni stories, choral music and a blessing for the academic year, followed by a reception. Hear from Ken Esau (MBBC ‘83), John Longhurst (MBBC ‘79), Joanne Thiessen Martens (CMBC ‘96), and Henry Neufeld (CMBC ’52). Friday, September 22, 7:00 pm, Laudamus Auditorium. Follow the links under “Calendar: Fall at a Glance” at cmu.ca for more information.
2. Please pray for CMU students. Tomorrow and Tuesday hundreds of students from across Canada and around the world will descend onto the CMU campus to begin another term of academic studies. Pray that their learning and interaction will inspire and equip them for lives of service, leadership and reconciliation in church and society.
3. Need to stimulate your thinking? Consider an evening course at CMU this fall. Courses are available for audit or credit and among many others, include: Literary Genres - Postmodern Fiction and Film, History of Art and Culture II - Renaissance to the Present, Psychology of Personality, and Beginning Spanish. Go to cmu.ca/timetable for more information.
4. Join host Aaron Epp for Sunday@CMU, 8:30–8:45 am on CFAM Radio 950 or CJRB Radio 1220. Enjoy 15-minutes of inspiration featuring CMU music ensembles, Biblical meditations and interviews with faculty, staff, students, and alumni. For info and archived programs go to cmu.ca and search for Sunday at CMU.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for September 3, 2017
Help displaced people in DR Congo - Armed conflict in the Kasai region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has displaced 1.4 million people. Families left fields and animals when they fled the violence and are facing a severe lack of food and increasing malnutrition. Donate online at mcccanada.ca/congo-relief or by phone, 1-888-622-6337. Please keep those who have been forced from their homes, and those hosting them, in your prayers.
No Way to Treat a Child - You're invited to the Manitoba launch of "No Way to Treat a Child," a new campaign calling for an end of the abuse and detention of Palestinian children. Hear their stories and add your voice: September 7, 7:00 pm – Sturgeon Creek United Church, 207 Thompson Dr in Winnipeg.
We Are All Treaty People Celebration
September 17, 2017, 1 pm, The Forks, Winnipeg, MB
Come out to the Forks, near the Provencher Bridge, for food, music, games and more to build and celebrate relationships, raising awareness for Treaty 1. For more information visit mccmb.ca/events
Brandon MCC Relief Sale - Join us on Saturday, September 23 for the 33rd annual Brandon MCC Relief Sale at the Keystone Centre. For more information visit mccmb.ca/brandon-relief-sale and save the date!