WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Sept. 10, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
Gathering Sunday & Installation Service
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp Lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our faith, hope, and life.
Call to Worship and Prayer
As We Gather
HWB 165 - A Mighty Fortress is Our God
Transfer of Membership
Greetings from Sargent Avenue Mennonite Church
Statement of Faith - Lee & Rachel Hiebert
Congregational Response - Karen Peters, chair
Prayer and Offering - This Ground
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Scripture Reading: Genesis 17:1-7; 15-19
Sermon: Preposterous Promises
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Song of Response
HWB 162 - The God Abraham Praise
Litany of Blessing and Covenant
Circle of Prayer
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
Worship Leader ~ Marg Rempel
Sermon ~ Rick Neufeld
Scripture Reader - Nia Rogers
Children's Story ~ Lee Hiebert
Song Leaders ~ Scott Friesen, Kendra Friesen, Toni Hiebert, Kayla Hiebert
Offertory ~ Worship Music
Prelude /Postlude/ Organist ~ Margarete Dyck
Pianist ~ Toni Hiebert
Sound ~ Jim Martens
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian in Bethesda Hospital
· Judy Lafournaise who continues to struggle with health issues.
“We would like to thank the church for your expressions of love and care for our family in the passing away of our husband, father and grandfather, John. Also for the gifts of wonderful food and cards. Thank you to Anne Froese and the crew in the kitchen, for serving and clean up. I know it’s a lot of work and thank you again. It has been much appreciated. Love Agatha Enns & Family”
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Open House following today’s worship service/lunch. Everyone is invited to visit SMC's renovated room on the main floor off the kitchenette. After you explore The Lounge (Steinbach Community Outreach's former room) you can take the stairs nearby to tour SCO's spacious, new home on the second floor. The foyer's main stairway and elevator will also take you there. Come and see the changes in your church!
We are in need of 2 ushers. Please contact Henry Krahn if you’re able to help.
Sept. 24, Camp Moose Lake Closing Celebration. We are planning a bus trip to the celebration. Sign-up sheet is at the Welcome Centre. Please bring a bag lunch to church. We will leave after lunch. Contact Dave Funk for more info.
If you have items you'd like to contribute to our Thanksgiving display, please leave them in the classroom off of the sanctuary (west side) and let Lavina Thiessen or June Snider know.
There is a 75th anniversary display in the Multipurpose Room.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
Sept. 1 - 9, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 7,962.00 MCC: $60.00 Refugee Fund: $ 100.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 10:45a.m. Gathering Sunday with Installation Service for Lee Hiebert followed by celebration potluck lunch. Please bring a large casserole or salad or dessert.
2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. Sept. 11 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. Sept. 12, 7:00 p.m. Women’s Volleyball
7:00 p.m. Church Board Meeting in MPR
Wed. Sept. 13, 7:00 p.m. SMC 75th Anniversary Celebration Committee Meeting in MPR
Sat. Sept. 16, 7:00 p.m. Arkbuilders in kitchenette. The family from Madagascar who has been worshipping with us occasionally will be our guest speakers. Anyone interested is welcome.
Sept. 18, 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
Sept. 19, 6:30 p.m. Sunbeams Salad Potluck in the kitchenette. All ladies welcome.
Sept. 24, 9:45 – 10:15 a.m., and Wednesday, Sept. 27, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Choir Rehearsal in preparation for the Oct. 1 Anniversary Worship Service. All singers are invited!
Volunteers are needed at the Ten Thousand Villages store in Steinbach. As a volunteer, your gift of time, skills and experience helps Ten Thousand Villages to provide vital, fair income to artisans in developing countries. If this is your gift, please contact Laurie Koop, manager at the Steinbach store.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
ANNUAL MHC GALLERY FUNDRAISER, Fri., Sept. 29, 7:30PM. Always fast-paced and informative, also delectable desserts. RSVP to email@example.com or 204 487 3300, ext 344. MHC Gallery, 600 Shaftesbury Blvd.
MC MANITOBA Announcements
Mennonite Church Manitoba is accepting applications for the position of Associate Program Director of Camping Ministries (APD). The APD oversees all aspects of our summer and winter programs and provides on-going support and training to all summer program staff and volunteers. This is a 1.0 fte position. The application deadline is September 21, 2017. For more information please visit our “News” page at www.campswithmeaning.org.
Camp Assiniboia Square Dance and Pie Spectacular Fundraiser. September 30, 6:30-9:00pm in the barn at Camp Assiniboia. No dancing skills required. Bring your family and extra toonies for the pie walk... We will need pies. campswithmeaning.org, News for more info.
Calling all pie makers! We need lots of pies for the Camp Assiniboia Square Dance & Pie Spectacular Fundraiser on September 30th. If you are able to make and donate one please contact Jesse Thiessen, 204-895-2267 for details.
Camp Moose Lake: Come celebrate the ministry, come say good-bye. September 24, 2017 at Camp Moose Lake. Worship and reminiscing start at 2:30pm, BBQ supper, stay as late as you need. No RSVP necessary. More info at www.mennochurch.mb.ca
Camp Koinonia is currently seeking volunteer camp caretakers. Looking for a couple to live at Camp Koinonia from November thru May. Duties could include snow removal, cooking, cleaning and general maintenance of facilities. Some employment opportunities are also available. Housing and some meals are included. For more information please contact Matthew Heide at 204-534-8268 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Walk the Talk on Saturday, Sept. 23
Come join your voice in the call for the federal government to Walk the Talk of reconciliation! Events begin with a walk at 1PM and will conclude at 6:30 PM at the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (177 Dysart Rd) where the main gathering with stories and music will take place at 6:30 PM. Learn more at www.adoptandimplement.com (Events section).
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – September 10, 2017
· Special Delegate Assembly 2017 (Oct. 13-15, Wpg.): Discernment Documents are now available at www.futuredirectionsmc.ca. These documents share important background and proposals that impact congregations, our five Area Churches and MC Canada. Register online at http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
· How is your congregation adapting to changes in society? Culture shifts are opportunities for congregations to transform themselves and adjust to new realities. Download the short Covenant New Conversation Starter to stimulate your thinking: http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017
· We need your voices! Youth are wanted at the 2017 Special Delegate Assembly, held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Emerging Voices Initiative (EVI) is partnering with Mennonite Church Canada to invite financial support available to any youth interested in attending the gathering, with no need to apply. EVI will also be providing youth programming related to the Future Directions process. For more information and to donate, visit https://donate.mennonitechurch.ca/project/EVI-Youth2017.
· Volunteers needed! Mennonite Church Canada is seeking volunteers for the 2017 Special Delegate Gathering held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Interested potential volunteers please email email@example.com. For more information on this gathering, visit http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
· The CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre in CMU’s Marpeck Commons, serves the church and community in vital ways. CommonWord is presently seeking volunteers with interest in working in this dynamic retail environment. For details about this opportunity please contact Arlyn at 204-594-0527 ext. 333.
· Chew on This! Join Citizens for Public Justice in Chew on This!, our annual fall anti-poverty campaign. Each year, on October 17, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, volunteers across Canada hand out Chew on This! lunch bags containing a food item, a magnet, and a postcard directed to the federal government. This year, we are focused on making sure the federal government hears the voices of people calling for a comprehensive national anti-poverty strategy. To organize a Chew on This! event or for more information, go to dignityforall.ca/chew-on-this or contact Darlene O’Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Celebrate the 14 Teams that have registered for Ride for Refuge Team on Saturday, Sept. 30! Become a team captain and support the mission ministry of Witness in Canada and around the world! Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at email@example.com or (226) 747-1833.
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· We give thanks for the many students and young adults who served and grew in their leadership development through camps this summer across the five area churches of Mennonite Church Canada. We are also grateful for learning and growth of students returning to school from internships and summer jobs. Remember to encourage and support them as they dive back into full time study schedules, assignments, and deadlines.
Canadian Mennonite University Events and Opportunities for Church Bulletins
1. CMU friends and alumni – you’re invited to Fall@CMU Sept 22-23. Join us on Friday, September 22 at 7:00 pm to celebrate Distinguished Alumni Stories and to open a new academic year. Class Reunions, Menno Cross Cycle-cross races for all ages, Farmer’s Market, BBQ lunch and MPK Folk Festival will take place on Saturday. See cmu.ca/fallatcmu for full details.
2. CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre in CMU’s Marpeck Commons serves the church and community in vital ways. CommonWord is presently seeking volunteers with interest in working in this dynamic retail environment. For details about this opportunity please contact Arlyn at 204-594-0527 ext. 333.
3. For Winnipeg Congregations
Are you 55 or older? Are you stimulated by teaching and conversation on issues that matter to the Christian faith, our world, and life in it? Join many others for CMU’s Xplore (an Enrichment program for seniors) with fall options on what the church in the global south can teach us; who young adults are today; the gospel of John; and the Jesuit worldview of Pope Francis. Go to cmu.ca/xplore for information.
Are you 55 or older? Are you stimulated by teaching and conversation on issues that matter to the Christian faith, our world, and life in it? Join many others for CMU’s Xplore (an Enrichment program for seniors) with fall options in Winkler on Ephesians; reflecting on the Church in southern Manitoba; clothing the ‘naked Anabaptist’; and exploring a vision for the church in the book of Deuteronomy. Go to cmu.ca/xplore for information.
4. Attend the opening of the exhibition Colourful Faith by 'Segun Olude and Gibril Bangura opening on Sunday, September 24 at 2:30 PM and running until Nov 18 at MHC Gallery, a Gallery of CMU. The exhibit is a celebration and documentation of Yoruba art, culture, and Christian faith.
5. Congregations, check out CMU’s Portables offered through The CMU Centre for Faith and Life as you seek to strengthen witness and mission. See cmu.ca/portable for details.
6. As CMU classes begin pray for core theological and Biblical classes which all CMU students take, that they may stimulate faith and faithfulness in students of all backgrounds.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for September 10, 2017
MCC welcomes your prayers and support as we respond to a number of disasters including Hurricane Irma, flooding in South Asia and Peru, and conflict in DR Congo. To support our relief efforts, visit donate.mcccanada.ca or call 1-888-622-6337.
MCC Manitoba Student Awards - Apply by September 30 if you're interested in work that aligns with MCC’s areas of focus (like peace, restorative justice, human rights, servant leadership and sustainable development). For more information and to apply, visit mccmb.ca/studentawards
We Are All Treaty People Celebration
September 17, 2017, 1 pm, The Forks, Winnipeg, MB
Come out to the Forks, near the Provencher Bridge, for food, music, games and more to build and celebrate relationships, raising awareness for Treaty 1. For more information visit mccmb.ca/we-are-all-treaty-people
A Cry for Home - Everyone needs a home — where families are safe and secure, where their basic needs are met, where they can come and go freely, and where they can imagine a future. But that is not the reality for Palestinians — or even for some Israelis. This fall, MCC invites you to listen to their stories and hear their cry — A Cry for Home. Find out more about the new campaign at mccmb.ca/cry-for-home and join us for the Manitoba launch at Sam's Place, 159 Henderson Hwy, on September 21 at 7 pm.
Brandon MCC Relief Sale - Join us on Saturday, September 23 for the 33rd annual Brandon MCC Relief Sale at the Keystone Centre. For more information visit mccmb.ca/brandon-relief-sale and save the date!