WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
November 5, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
Focus Statement: We often think of the church as being “missional” and that we are called to “go out” and do a great many things to bring about the Kingdom of God. Our eyes are focused on other people, how we can reach them and bring the Good News to all people. But repeatedly the message of Jesus and the Old Testament Prophets was directed towards the people of God themselves. Often it is God’s people that need reaching and a reminder of whose mission we are really a part of.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp Lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our faith, hope, and life.
Call to Worship and Opening Prayer
STJ 29 You are all we have
Open the eyes of my heart (see insert)
Scripture Reading: Micah 3:5-12
Prayer and Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Children's Story – Susan Wiebe
HWB 327 Great is Thy Faithfulness
Scripture Reading: Matthew 23:1-12
Sermon: “Doing Unto Others” – Lee Hiebert
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Congregational Song of Response
Ancient Words (see insert)
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
Create in Me (see insert)
Worship Leader ~ Val Peters
Song Leaders ~ Scott & Kendra Friesen, Toni & Kayla Hiebert
Organist / Pianist ~ Karen Peters
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian in Bethesda Hospital
· Peter Dyck, Agnes Nikkel, Tina Nikkel, Jessie Peters, Justina Rempel, Helen Warkentin, Anne Unger (Bethesda Place), Agnes Ketler (Niverville)
God’s blessing on Helen Warkentin who will celebrate her birthday on Nov. 11th.
Our sympathies and prayers go to Hans, Daniela, Philip and Mark Hildebrandt on the death of their father and grandfather, Peter Hildebrandt, on Nov. 2nd in Paraguay. Hans has flown down to be with his family. He will be back on Nov. 15th.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
The church office will be closed on Fri. Nov. 10th for Remembrance Day. A
As part of SMC's 75th anniversary celebrations, we will plant a Peace Pole in front of our building. This project was chosen because it is a public sign of our congregation's Anabaptist convictions and commitment to peace. November 12th is Peace Sunday, the day we will install this symbol. Please come prepared to participate in a short dedication ceremony outside to conclude our morning
For the past several years we have held a Christmas Dinner in the gym following our Christmas Day service for those who do not have family in the area and other interested people. If anyone is willing to work with holding this Christmas Dinner, please contact Daryl Climenhaga or Daniela in the office.
There is a recycling depot for batteries, cell phones, printer cartridges and FLQ’s (fluorescent lightbulbs) behind the Welcome Centre. Please no eyeglasses.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. Nov. 6, 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
7:30 p.m. Education & Ministries Committee meeting in the MPR.
Thurs. Nov. 9, 7:00 p.m. Worship Committee meeting in the MPR
Nov. 13, 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
Nov.14, 9:00 a.m. MCC Blanket Tying in the kitchenette. We need to tie 22 blankets. Please come help if you can. Contact Mary Martens for info.
Nov. 15, 7:00 p.m. Church Board Meeting in the MPR
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s meet at Coffee Culture
· Adults in MPR
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Nov. 5, 7:00 p.m. Vespers Service at MHV
7:00 p.m. Friends of the Mennonite Centre in Ukraine Fundraising Evening with the Faith & Life Male Choir at McIvor MB Church in Winnipeg. See poster for details.
Nov. 8, 7:00 p.m. Ray Dirk: Along the Road to Freedom: Mennonite women of courage and faith Book Launch at Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Nov. 10, Eden Health Care Services 50th Anniversary Gala Evening. See poster for details.
Nov. 12, 7:00 p.m. Here I Stand Story of the Protestant Reformation at MHV. See poster for details.
Nov. 13, 7:00 p.m. CHRISTIAN FAITH in encounter with Islam and Muslim believer. Hear Dr. Gordon & Gwen Nickel at the Steinbach MB Church
Dec. 12, 8:00 p.m. Steve Bell & the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra Christmas Concert at the Centennial Concert Hall. See poster for details.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MC Canada Bulletin Announcements for Sunday – November 5, 2017
· UPDATE – The Mennonite Church Canada Special Assembly, Oct. 13-15, marked a historic turning point for Mennonite Church Canada, Regional Churches, and our congregations across the country. Delegates charted a new course for Mennonite Church Canada with a 94% approval of the Covenant New restructuring proposal. The new structure revisions Mennonite Church Canada as the covenant partnership created by the five nationwide Regional Churches. Working together, Regional Churches have been mandated to foster the health and vitality of local congregations, who are engaged in mission in their immediate neighbourhoods and around the world. While delegates celebrated a structure that has served them well in the past and grieved its passing, they also embraced the vision of a vibrant, nationwide Mennonite Church that is actively engaging our world. To learn more, visit www.futuredirectionsmc.ca
· The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has called Canada to adopt and implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Bill C-262 is a private member’s bill supported by hundreds of Indigenous communities, faith groups, and social justice organizations that can help make that happen. Bill C-262 will be up for debate in late November and we need your help! We are encouraging everyone to write a postcard to the Minister of Justice Jody Wilson-Raybould alongside your local MP in support of Bill C-262. You can pick up a free batch of 75 postcards here along with suggested messages and tips for pulling off a postcard ‘party’: www.commonword.ca/go/1374
· Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507):
· Give thanks for the ministry of Witness partners Sergey and Lena Deynekin in Chernobaevka near Kherson, Ukraine. Sergey reports a good response to their first seminar on family relationships. Their church is also rejoicing with the news that their village has allocated one-quarter hectare of land upon which to construct a permanent church building.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for November 5, 2017
Relief for Rohingya refugees - Respond to the Rohingya refugee crisis by November 28 and the government will contribute a dollar to its Myanmar Crisis Relief Fund for every dollar you donate to MCC. Give today to have your donation matched! Call us at 1(888)622-6337 or visit mccmb.ca
Workshop: Sister Walk
November 18, 2017 | 159 Henderson Hwy, Winnipeg, MB
Home shouldn't be a place that hurts--but many women have stories of abuse at home. Join us for Sister Walk, a workshop where you'll be equipped to compassionately and effectively walk alongside women who have experienced abuse. Join other women on the journey towards healing by registering today at mccmb.ca/sister-walk or by calling 204-925-1917.
Christmas Craft & Bake Sale - MCC welcomes donations of baked goods for the Christmas Craft and Bake Sale on Saturday, November 25! If you're interested in donating your baking, please contact Sophia Bezoplenko at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204-261-6381. For more information on the Christmas Craft & Bake Sale, please visit mccmb.ca/Christmas-sale
MCC invites you to learn about Bill C-262, calling on the Government of Canada to adopt and implement the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. To read more about Bill C-262 and add your voice, visit mcccanada.ca/why-support-bill-c-262
MC MANITOBA Announcements
Job Opening: Mennonite Church Canada (Wpg. office) invites applications for the position of Bookkeeper. See http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/node/1593 for details. Applications are open now and will be considered until a suitable candidate is found. The start date will be arranged with the suitable candidate, as soon as possible.
Als Dankeschön für Ihre treue finanzielle Unterstützung der Frohen Botschaft möchten wir Ihnen gerne einen Andachtskalender schenken. Bitte rufen Sie doch im Mennonite Church Manitoba Büro an: 204-896-1616
In appreciation for your faithful financial contributions to the radio ministry of Frohe Botschaft, we would like to send you a German daily devotional calendar. Please call the Mennonite Church Manitoba office at: 204-896-1616
Fall Partnership Circle Gathering @ Morden Mennonite Church, November 18th, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. “God’s Mission to Gather and Spur… Stories of Faith, Works and Reconciliation”. See www.mennochurch.mb.ca/events for more info.
Bulletin announcements from AMBS
Professor of Biblical Studies position open. Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Elkhart, Indiana, is hiring a full-time professor of Biblical Studies to start July 1, 2018. Preferred qualifications: Ph.D. or equivalent; expertise in Old Testament or New Testament studies and competence to teach in the other testament; intercultural competency; and the ability to inspire students in face-to-face and online learning environments. See a full job description at www.ambs.edu/jobs.