WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
November 19, 2017 – 10:45 a.m.
Focus Statement: Living in the light is a matter of doing, not just believing the right thing.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp Lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our faith, hope, and life.
Call to Worship and Opening Prayer
HWB 76 Praise, I will praise you, Lord
HWB 66 O worship the King
Scripture Reading: Judges 4:1-7
Prayer and Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Children's Story – Jac Siemens
Sing the Story (STS) 54 What does the Lord require of you?
Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
Sermon: “The Obedience of Faith” – Daryl Climenhaga
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Congregational Song of Response
HWB 539 Make me captive, Lord
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
HWB 544 When we walk with the Lord
Worship Leader ~ Alvie Martens
Organist / Pianist ~ Karen Peters
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Hildegard Adrian in Bethesda Hospital
· Sue Nikkel who has been diagnosed with an unknown terminal cancer.
· Pray for our Missionaries:
Rachel Klassen – Germany
Fredy & Rowena Hiebert - Bolivia
Our sympathies and prayers go to the family and friends of Justina Rempel who passed away on Nov. 14th. The funeral for Justina will be held on Nov. 20th at 11:00 a.m. at SMC with a viewing prior to the service.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Today Pastor Lee Hiebert and a group from SMC are leading the worship service at Cedarwood and Resthaven.
Christmas Shopping Idea! Sunbeams Cookbooks are almost sold out. We have 21 books left. For $5.00/book you can purchase them at the Welcome Centre after the service.
The Coffee Hut is up and running again! We appreciate Gord Blatz taking this up again. He could use some help to keep this going. If you can help, please contact Gord.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
Nov. 12 - 18, 2017 – Our giving:
Budget: $ 5,211.00 MCC: $ 100.00 Refugee: $ 50.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
3:00 p.m. Arkbuilders will be meeting in the kitchenette. There will be presentations and discussion on “Farming Today” followed by visiting and Vaspa. Food will be provided. Friendship Seekers are invited to join.
Mon. Nov. 20, 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. Nov. 21, 7:00 p.m. Sunbeams meet in kitchenette
Nov. 26 is Eternity Sunday. As in previous years we will invite members to come to the front of the sanctuary to light candles in memory of loved ones who have passed away during the past year.
Nov. 27, 6:30 p.m. Steinbach Mennonite Handbelles practice in kitchenette
Dec. 2, 8:30 a.m. Sunbeams Birthday Breakfast at Smitty’s
Dec. 4, 5:30 p.m. Sunbeams Christmas Supper
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s meet at Coffee Culture
· Adults in MPR
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Nov. 27, 12:00 p.m. Inviting all volunteers and staff of the Steinbach Thrift Shop and Ten Thousand Villages to the annual Christmas banquet at Steinbach EMC Church. Feel free to bring your spouse or a friend.
Dec. 3, 7:00 p.m. The choir of First Mennonite Church, 922 Notre Dame Ave, under the direction of Yuri Klaz, invite you to their Advent Concert. Admission is free; a donation will be taken. See poster for details.
Dec. 12, 8:00 p.m. Steve Bell & the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra Christmas Concert at the Centennial Concert Hall. See poster for details.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
New free Anabaptist Prayer Book app available. Let Jesus’ words pervade your day through these morning and evening prayer services with a distinctive Anabaptist flavor. Take Our Moments and Our Days: An Anabaptist Prayer Book includes Scripture-saturated prayers and space for communal reflection. Available in print or as a free app from Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary’s Institute of Mennonite Studies. www.ambs.edu/publishing/anabaptist-prayer-book
AMBS Pastors and Leaders 2018: Feb. 26 – March 1 (formerly Pastors Week). “For Such a Time as This” will feature teachers and preachers from the Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary community, exploring how “fear of the Lord” uniquely prepares us to live confidently and speak courageously in this moment in history. www.ambs.edu/pastorsandleaders
AMBS Leadership Clinics: Feb. 26, 2018. Topics include: Improvisational Leadership for the 21st Century: An Anabaptist Approach; The Church in the Age of Migration; and 7x7: Laments for an Age of Sexualized Power. Sign up by Feb. 6 for the lowest rate; group discounts are also available. www.ambs.edu/leadershipclinics
The Mennonite Disaster Service All-Unit Meeting is being hosted by Region 5 (Canada) from February 9-10, 2018 in Winkler, MB. This event is open to all who are interested in the work of MDS. For more information or to register for the event see our website mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting or call our Winnipeg office at 1-866-261-1274.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcements for November 19, 2017
Christmas Craft & Bake Sale - Join us for the Christmas Craft and Bake Sale at 134 Plaza Dr, Winnipeg, on Saturday, November 25, 9:00am-4pm. Shop baked goods and locally made crafts and quilts with your purchase supporting MCC's humanitarian relief work around the world. For more information, please visit mccmb.ca/Christmas-sale
Selkirk MCC Thrift Shop welcomes applications for Shop Manager, 0.8 FTE. Applications will be accepted until a successful candidate is chosen. For more information and a detailed job description, contact Vic Rempel at firstname.lastname@example.org
MC Manitoba Announcements
Job Opening: Mennonite Church Canada (Wpg. office) invites applications for the position of Bookkeeper. See http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/node/1593 for details. Applications are open now and will be considered until a suitable candidate is found. The start date will be arranged with the suitable candidate, as soon as possible.
Als Dankeschön für Ihre treue finanzielle Unterstützung der Frohen Botschaft möchten wir Ihnen gerne einen Andachtskalender schenken. Bitte rufen Sie doch im Mennonite Church Manitoba Büro an: 204-896-1616
In appreciation for your faithful financial contributions to the radio ministry of Frohe Botschaft, we would like to send you a German daily devotional calendar. Please call the Mennonite Church Manitoba office at: 204-896-1616
Story and Song Circle @ Home Street Mennonite Church: Participatory story tellers and singer song writers are invited to bring their original short stories and songs to a gathering of artistically inclined writers and musician/singers to share around a circle for peer-led improvement. Join in on the last Sunday of the month, 7 pm, at Home Street MC, 318 Home St. For more details contact Dan Dyck via email@example.com
Canadian Mennonite University Events and
Opportunities for Church Bulletins
1. Christmas at CMU is a wonderful start to the season of Advent. Something for all ages including hot apple cider and cookies. Choose either 2:00 PM or 7:00 PM on Nov. 25. 500 Shaftesbury Blvd. Free admission and parking. cmu.ca/christmas.
2. Mark your calendars – CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre Christmas Open House! A one-day sale will be held on Nov. 25 from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, featuring in-store specials on books and foods, raffle draws, plenty of food samples and a new Christmas selection of fair-trade gift items from Ten Thousand Villages. Location: CMU, 2299 Grant Ave., Winnipeg. Come for the Open House and Sale; stay for the Christmas @CMU concerts.
4. CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre presents an evening with Marcus Peter Rempel, farmer, author and speaker, Thursday Dec 7, 7:00 PM at CMU’s Marpeck Commons. Marcus will be launching his new book Life at the End of Us vs Them. Evening will also include music by Cara Luft, door prizes, and a special discount on the book. For more information go to www.commonword.ca/go/1410.
5. Your prayers are invited for the ministry of CMU’s Portables, through which CMU is committed to resource congregations as they seek to strengthen their witness and mission. See more at cmu.ca/portable.
6. Exhibits by Carolyn Mount and Tracy Fehr will open at CMU’s MHC Gallery, 610 Shaftesbury Blvd., on Nov. 24 at 7:30 PM.
7. Enjoy the timeless Amahl and the Night Visitors, presented by students of CMU’s Opera Workshop, directed by David Klassen on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at 7:00 PM in the Laudamaus Auditorium, 500 Shaftesbury Blvd. Adults $8; students $5.
8. CMU invites applications for the following positions: Controller, and Financial & Student Services Advisor. Contact Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-594-0532.