WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
February 11, 2018 – 10:45 a.m.
Focus Statement: We all deal with problems and struggles in our lives. Some of us would have been at the front of the line, trying to get in to see Jesus. Others can identify with Job’s feeling of futility: “life is but a breath, and I will never know joy again.” The two passages we read speak to all of us, and we wonder how God is present in our distress. This morning we will begin with the gospel account, and then look at Job’s words of lament, leading to the question: How is God present for us in our distress? What is God doing when we struggle with life?
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp Lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our faith, hope, and life.
Opening Prayer and Call to Worship
Longing for light (STJ #54)
Scripture Reading – Job 7:1-7
Prayer and Offering- Wings of an Eagle
PROCLAIMING GOD'S WORD
Children’s story – Jac Siemens
Light the Fire
Scripture Reading – Mark 1:29-39
Sermon – “Healer of our every Ill” – Daryl Climenhaga
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Congregational Song of Response
Healer of our every ill (HWB #377)
Within our doors - Sunbeams
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
You are all we have (STJ #29)
Worship Leader – Lee Hiebert
Song Leaders – Scott & Kendra Friesen, Toni & Kayla Hiebert
Organist / Pianist – Margarete Dyck
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Peter Koop who is in Bethesda Hospital
· Helena Penner who is in St. Anne Hospital
· Judy Lafournaise who continues to struggle with health issues
Congratulations to Gord & Mary Blatz who were married last Sunday, Feb. 4th. We wish them God’s blessings in their new life together!
Our sympathies and prayers go to Abe & Susan Wiebe on the death of
Jack Elias of Calgary, husband to Abe’s sister, on Feb. 5th.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
The church website has changed - As part of our Sunday morning services we have been including a regular time for the congregation to share prayer requests and praises. This is an important part of our life together and can be quite personal. To facilitate this and to honor the sensitive nature of this time we have decided to limit those who can access the recording of our services online. The password and username for this access will be shared with those who have a current and ongoing connection with SMC and can be requested from the church office.
Manigotagan 2018. For many years SMC has gone to Manigotagan for a week-long summer ministry venture. This year the ministry is planned for Aug. 21 to 25 (Tues. to Sat.), with Mon. the 20th for travel there and Sun. the 26th for a celebration service, followed by travel home. We need to begin planning for Aug. now, since some of the children in Manigotagan are already asking if we are coming again this year. Can any willing to help with the planning contact Daryl Climenhaga and join him in the planning committee?
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. Feb. 12, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Thurs. Feb. 15, 7:00 p.m. All women of SMC are invited to attend the Mystery Tea, the first event for SMC Women, in the gym. Sign up at Welcome Centre.
Sat. Feb. 17, Arkbuilders in kitchenette
March 15, 7:00 p.m. SMC Annual Membership Meeting
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s meet in Room 115
· Adult SS “Current Events” in MPR
· Adult SS Bible Study in Room 109 (Music Room)
Feb. 1 - 10, 2018 - Our Giving:
Budget $8,361.00 MC Manitoba: $100.00 Refugee Fund: $100.00
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Feb. 13, 7:00 p.m. Providence Public Lectures at Steinbach Arts Centre. “The Religious Impulse in U2’s Mediated Brand” with Nicolas Greco.
Feb. 15, 7:00 p.m. Annual Meeting for Steinbach Thrift Shop and Ten Thousand Villages at Gospel Fellowship Church. Join us for reports from the managers, special music, and speakers, followed by coffee and snacks.
Feb. 24, 9:30 a.m. Connecting Neighbours: Exploration & Conversation at the Pat Porter Centre
March 2, MCM Annual Delegate Gathering. Please contact Pastor Lee if you’d like to be a delegate.
March 15, 6:30 p.m. Youth for Christ Steinbach Festival of Friends Fundraising Dinner 2018 at the Emmanuel Evangelical Free Church. Call to reserve a table of 8 or individual tickets are also available by calling YFC Steinbach office at 204-346-4366.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
“The Pax Cantata Chorus, a CMU Alumni choir, presents ‘My Heart is Inditing’, including Handel Coronation Anthem No. 4 and more, with chamber orchestra accompaniment, and featuring soloist Adam Sperry. Sunday March 4, 7pm at Sargent Avenue Mennonite Church. Tickets are $10.00 from choristers or at the door.”
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcement for February 11, 2018
MCC Canada welcomes applications for Records Manager (12 month term) based in Winnipeg. Applications are accepted until February 19, 2018. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/records-manager
Special Event: Wintertreffen
Sunday, February 25, 2 pm
287 8th Ave NE, Altona
Join us at Altona Mennonite Church for an afternoon of music and sharing about refugee resettlement—in English and opp Plautdietsch—followed by a potluck faspa! For more information visit mccmb.ca/wintertreffen
Green thumb? The annual plant sale supporting the work of MCC is coming up May 25-26, 2018. As you begin plants for your garden please consider planting an extra pot or two to donate for the sale, both vegetable seedlings and flowering plants are appreciated! For more information, contact Kendelle Romero-Fawcett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-261-6381.
Interested in Learning more about Mennonite Collegiate Institute? We invite prospective students and families to join us at MCI in Gretna, MB, February 20th at 6pm for dinner, followed by an MCI Information Night at 7pm. Information will focus on Faith-based learning, Music program, Athletics, Finances, and Discipleship. Please register for dinner by emailing email@example.com or calling the school at (204)327-5891, or feel free to come at 7pm for the Information Night.
Canadian Mennonite University cmu.ca
1. CMU presents “Journeying Together: Accompanying the Aging”, a one-day workshop for deacons, caregiving teams, pastors, and Christians working in health care or other caregiving roles. Join John H. Neufeld, Heather Campbell-Enns, Kathleen Rempel Boschman, Charlene Epp, and more as we explore what it means for Christians to journey together with the aging. Mar. 17th, 2018. For more information, and to register, please go to cmu.ca/pastorsworkshops.
2. Xplore: Keep Thinking: enrol in CMU’s 55-Plus Enrichment Program, offered Wednesday mornings at CMU from Mar. 7 – Apr. 11. Courses include The Conflict over “Holy Smoke”: Contextualizing the Gospel for Indigenous Peoples. For information and to enrol go to cmu.ca/xplore.
3. Enjoy an exciting evening of vocal and instrumental performances at CMU’s Verna Mae Janzen Music Competition on Feb. 15 at 7:30 PM in the Laudamus Auditorium. Free Admission.
4. Worship with us at CMU Vespers. Janet Brenneman and Lisa Enns will lead a service of scripture, prayer, and song on the theme To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. The service starts at 7:00 PM in the Laudamus Auditorium on Sunday, Feb. 18.
5. Canadian Mennonite University invites applications for the full time salaried positions of Financial Analyst, Hosting Coordinator, Outtatown Site leader, and Assistant or Associate Professor of Music. Details can be found at cmu.ca/employment or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. CMU seeks volunteers for the following roles: assisting with seasonal mailings, ongoing data entry. For more information contact Julie Derksen at 204-487-3300 ext. 607 or email@example.com.
MC Manitoba Update
The (almost complete) MCM Gathering Report Book is available
Visit www.mennochurch.mb.ca and click on events. All the most current documents regarding the Gathering are there.
Camps with Meaning online registration is open! This is our ministry together as Mennonite Church Manitoba. Please visit www.campswithmeaning.org to register for summer camp. We want all families to afford camp. Note our new Campership Fund, which assists families at a much higher level than before.
Job Opening: Camps with Meaning Camps with Meaning is accepting applications for the Guest Service Coordinator position at Camp Assiniboia. The Guest Service Coordinator is responsible for booking, coordinating and hosting our guest groups and volunteers. This is a renewable 0.8 term position (excluding summer months). The application deadline is February 26, 2018. Go to www.campswithmeaning.org "News" for further information.
Job Opening: Mennonite Church Canada (Wpg. office) invites applications for the position of Executive Assistant to the Executive Director. See http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/jobs for details. Applications are open now and will be considered until a suitable candidate is found. The start date will be arranged with the suitable candidate, as soon as possible.