WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Theme: Lent 1 “Me & You & the Creatures Too”
February 18, 2018 – 10:45 a.m.
Focus Statement: An everlasting covenant is made between God (Me), the people (You), and every living creature. God’s intention for relationship with the earth is inclusive and expansive, yet our narrow-mindedness, we often exclude. How are we invited to expand our understanding to realize that all are included in God’s covenant?
GATHERING AS GOD’S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp lighting
Confession and Words of Assurance
HWB 46 I sing the mighty power of God
HWB 43 Christ is our cornerstone
Scripture Reading – Genesis 9:8-17
Prayer and Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD’S WORD
Children’s story – Jac Siemens
HWB 167 For God so loved us
Scripture Reading – 1 Peter 3:18-22
Sermon – “As for me…” – Lee Hiebert
RESPONDING TO GOD’S WORD
Song of Response
HWB 530 What wondrous love is this
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
HWB 526 In the rifted rock I’m resting
Worship Leader – Eric Rempel
Song Leaders – Henriette & Rudy Schellenberg, Kathy & John Schellenberg
Organist / Pianist – Margarete Dyck
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Peter Koop who is in Bethesda Hospital
· Helena Penner who is in St. Anne Hospital
· Pray for our Missionary:
Rachel Klassen – Germany
In Memoriam: We remember Agnes Steingart who passed away a year ago today. Pray for God’s comfort and peace to the family and friends these days.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
The church office will be closed Tues. Feb. 20th. Pastor Lee will have his regular hours this week.
Delegates for the upcoming MC Manitoba Gathering will be meeting at church on Feb. 20, at 1:00 p.m. in the MPR. Anyone who wishes to join us for our conversation is welcome. If you would like a copy of the 2018 report book please use the link below or contact the church office. (http://www.mennochurch.mb.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/MCM-Reportbook-2018-No-Schedule.pdf).
Manigotagan 2018. For many years SMC has gone to Manigotagan for a week-long summer ministry venture. This year the ministry is planned for Aug. 21 to 25 (Tues. to Sat.), with Mon. the 20th for travel there and Sun. the 26th for a celebration service, followed by travel home. We need to begin planning for Aug. now, since some of the children in Manigotagan are already asking if we are coming again this year. Can any willing to help with the planning contact Daryl Climenhaga and join him in the planning committee?
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon. Feb. 19, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. Feb. 20, 1:00 p.m. Meeting with Conference Delegates. All welcome.
March 15, 7:00 p.m. SMC Annual Membership Meeting
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s meet in Room 115
· Adult SS “Current Events” in MPR
· Adult SS Bible Study in Room 109 (Music Room)
Feb. 11 - 17, 2018 - Our Giving:
Budget $2,745.25 MCC: $100.00
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Feb. 20, 7:00 p.m. Providence Public Lectures at Steinbach Arts Centre. “Pandora’s Gifts: Language Learning Through Expressive Arts” with Elfrieda Lepp-Kaethler.
Feb. 24, 9:30 a.m. Connecting Neighbours: Exploration & Conversation at the Pat Porter Centre
March 2, MCM Annual Delegate Gathering.
March 4, 7:00 p.m. Vespers Service at MHV
March 15, 6:30 p.m. Youth for Christ Steinbach Festival of Friends Fundraising Dinner 2018 at the Emmanuel Evangelical Free Church. Call to reserve a table of 8 or individual tickets are also available by calling YFC Steinbach office at 204-346-4366.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
The Mennonite Community Orchestra conducted by William Gordon, will be presenting its Spring Concert on Sunday March 11th at 3:00 PM in the CMU Chapel, 600 Shaftesbury Blvd. south of Grant. The orchestra will perform Strauss’ Die Fledermaus Overture, Mozart’s Piano Concerto #25 with soloist Shirley Elias, and Dvorak’s Symphony #8. Tickets are $15 for adults, $5 for students and are available at the door. Children 12 and under, free admission.
MC Manitoba Update
Pray for the Wiping Away the Tears conference.
On Feb 15 & 16th, Manitoba families of Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women and Girls will be meeting in Winnipeg for an annual conference called Wiping Away the Tears. This conference provides important resource and emotional supports to families and approximately 185 people will be in attendance. Dorothy Fontaine along with a team of elders will be there to provide spiritual support for families. Mennonite Church Manitoba is also donating food for a Feast and Round dance that is being held on Thursday evening. Please keep families and conference organizers in your prayers.
MCM Leadership Day info
Friday, March 2 at Sargent Ave. Mennonite Church. This day is set aside for MCM Pastors / Congregational Leaders and interested persons to come and participate. The theme for this gathering is Story-telling, Resistance and Change. A complete overview of the theme is available by going to http://www.mennochurch.mb.ca/event/mcm-leadership-day-2/.
You can register online and the cost includes lunch and snacks/ refreshments during the day.
The early registration deadline is February 28. The cost increases after that!
Invitation to MCM Delegate Gathering Worship. All are welcome to worship and communion at First Mennonite Church, March 2, 2018. 7:00pm. David Martin, Executive Minister of Mennonite Church Eastern Canada is our guest speaker. Delegate meetings take place on March 3.
Fundraising hymn sing for the new Mennonite Hymnal. Douglas Mennonite Church. March 11, 2018. 7:00pm. Join three current members of the hymnal committee for singing and reporting on the progress of the new hymnal, due out in 2020. For more info on the project, visit www.mennomedia.org/resonate.
Camps with Meaning online registration is open! This is our ministry together as Mennonite Church Manitoba. Please visit www.campswithmeaning.org to register for summer camp. We want all families to afford camp. Note our new Campership Fund, which assists families at a much higher level than before.
Job Opening: Camps with Meaning Camps with Meaning is accepting applications for the Guest Service Coordinator position at Camp Assiniboia. The Guest Service Coordinator is responsible for booking, coordinating and hosting our guest groups and volunteers. This is a renewable 0.8 term position (excluding summer months). The application deadline is February 26, 2018. Go to www.campswithmeaning.org "News" for further information.
Job Opening: Mennonite Church Canada (Wpg. office) invites applications for the position of Executive Assistant to the Executive Director. See http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/jobs for details. Applications are open now and will be considered until a suitable candidate is found. The start date will be arranged with the suitable candidate, as soon as possible.
Canadian Mennonite University cmu.ca
1. CMU is honoured to host Senator Murray Sinclair as he shares stories and insights of Canadian communities, churches, and educational institutions responding to the TRC 94 Calls to Action. Senator Sinclair will speak on ‘The TRC, Calls to Action, and the Mountain before Us: Stories of Hope and Challenge’. Join us on Monday, Mar. 5, 7:00 PM in Marpeck Commons. An in-person and live-streamed event.
2. CMU presents “Journeying Together: Accompanying the Aging” on Mar. 17th, 2018. Join John H. Neufeld, Heather Campbell-Enns, Kathleen Rempel Boschman, Charlene Epp, and others as we explore what it means for congregational care teams, family members, and Christian professionals to journey together with the aging. For more information, and to register, please go to cmu.ca/pastorsworkshops.
3. February 28 is CMU’s deadline for Scholarships and Awards for new students. See cmu.ca/financialaid for applications and information. CMU issued over 400 scholarships and bursaries to students last year, awarding over $558,000 to almost two thirds of the full time student body.
4. On Thursday, Apr. 5, 7:00 PM, plan to attend “Spring at CMU,” an evening of celebration in support of CMU. Featured: CMU PAX Award to Steve Bell; music by Steve Bell and CMU Singers; short reflections from faculty, alumni, and students. Contact Joyce Friesen at email@example.com to reserve a seat.
5. Worship with us at CMU Vespers. Janet Brenneman and Lisa Enns will lead a service of scripture, prayer, and song on the theme To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. The service starts at 7:00 PM in the Laudamus Auditorium on Sunday, Feb. 18.
6. Xplore: Keep Thinking: enrol in CMU’s 55-Plus Enrichment Program, offered Wednesday mornings at CMU from Mar. 7 – Apr. 11. Courses include Philippians: Explorations in the Meaning of “Citizenship” with Gordon Zerbe, Professor of New Testament. For information and to enrol go to cmu.ca/xplore.
7. CMU Music Therapy students present a Coffee House, featuring student performances, on Mar. 2 in the Great Hall. Admission free.
8. Peace is the work of young people and old people, of mothers, farmers, engineers, artists and teachers. If you are interested in learning more about peace, there is a place for you at the Canadian School of Peacebuilding, Jun. 11-15 or 18-22, 2018. More information is available at csop.cmu.ca or firstname.lastname@example.org. Apply early to ensure your choice of courses.
9. CMU hosts the Shi'a Muslim – Mennonite Christian Dialogue 7. The opening event at 7:00 PM on Mar. 7 in Marpeck Commons will introduce presenters, welcome guests, and introduce the theme “Religion and Youth”. All are welcome. More information available at cmu.ca/community.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcement for February 18, 2018
MCC Canada welcomes applications for Impact Analysis Research Intern based in Winnipeg. Applications are accepted until February 23, 2018. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/research-intern-mcc-impact-analysis.
Sargent MCC Thrift Shop welcomes applications for part-time Assistant Manager. Applications will be accepted until a successful candidate is chosen. For more information and application instructions, please visit mccmb.ca/sargent-thrift-assistant-manager.
Special Event: Wintertreffen
Sunday, February 25, 2 pm
287 8th Ave NE, Altona
Join us at Altona Mennonite Church for an afternoon of music and sharing about refugee resettlement—in English and opp Plautdietsch—followed by a potluck faspa! For more information visit mccmb.ca/wintertreffen
Summerbridge 2018 - MCC is now accepting applications for Summerbridge, an 8-12 week service program for young adults of diverse cultural backgrounds who are connected with a Mennonite or Be in Christ church. It’s an opportunity to work in the church and/or community, develop leadership skills and get to know the congregation and community better. If you are a church or young adult interested in learning more, please contact Katie Laban at email@example.com or 204-925-1929.
Green thumb? The annual plant sale supporting the work of MCC is coming up May 25-26, 2018. As you begin plants for your garden please consider planting an extra pot or two to donate for the sale, both vegetable seedlings and flowering plants are appreciated! For more information, contact Kendelle Romero-Fawcett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-261-6381.