WELCOME TO OUR SUNDAY WORSHIP SERVICE
April 22, 2018 – 10:45 a.m.
Theme: The Minor Prophets: A Closer Look at God’s Heart
Focus Statement: God’s warning is an act of grace, an act of love and a gift of hope. God’s desire is not to condemn but to save.
GATHERING AS GOD'S PEOPLE
Prelude – Ed Hildebrand
Welcome and Lamp lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our hope, faith and life.
Call to Worship and Opening Prayer
HWB 59 Sing praise to God who reigns
The steadfast love
Scripture Reading – Amos 5:21-24
Prayer and Offering – O Healing River
PROCLAIMING GOD’S WORD
Children’s story – Anne Froese
HWB 226 You are salt for the earth
Scripture Reading – Amos 9:11-15
Sermon – “The Gift of Judgement” – Daryl Climenhaga
RESPONDING TO GOD'S WORD
Song of Response
Our God Reigns
Beyond our doors – Katie Wiens
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
HWB 323 Beyond a dying sun
Worship Leader – Alvie Martens
Song Leaders/Offertory – Val and Ed Peters, Ed and Millie Hildebrand
Organist/Pianist – Karen Peters
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Peter Koop who is in Bethesda Hospital
· Henry Dueck who has health issues.
God’s blessing on Anne Unger who will celebrate her 100th birthday on
God’s blessing on Susie Enns who will celebrate her birthday on April 27th.
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, NO Family Volleyball
Mon, April 23, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
Tues. April 24, 7:00 p.m. Deacons meeting in the MPR
Sun, April 29, Scripture Text: Hosea 3:1 - 4:3; 6:1-6
April 29, 3:00 p.m. The Faith and Life Choirs Spring Concert will be right here at Steinbach Mennonite Church.
April 30, 7:00 p.m. SMC Women’s “Springtime In the Garden” at Oakridge Greenhouse. Please sign up at the Welcome Centre.
May 5, 7:45 a.m. Men’s Prayer Breakfast at Uncle Jake’s Restaurant. We hope to see you there.
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s meet in Room 115
· Adult SS “Current Events” in MPR
· Adult SS Bible Study in Room 109 (Music Room)
April 1 - 21, 2018 - Our Giving:
Budget $ 16,111.00 MC Manitoba: $ 300.00
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Soup's On is looking for an Assistant manager. If you or anyone you know might be interested in this ministry please check out steinbachsoupson.com for details.
April 22 , 7:30 p.m. Canzona concert at Crescent Fort Rouge United Church.
April 27, 7:00 p.m. SBC Spring Concert
April 28, 2:00 p.m. SBC Graduation Ceremony at Steinbach EMC
April 29, 3:00 p.m. Faith and Life Choirs Spring Concert: "Send Forth Thy Spirit" at Steinbach Mennonite Church. See poster for details.
May 5 Pick up and Walk. Please sign up at the welcome center if you want to participate. See poster on bulletin board for details
May 25 & 26, MCC Springfest including Plant Sale and Quilt Show and sale. See poster for times and other details.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
Mennonite Collegiate Institute invites you to attend the MCI Spring Fundraiser evening on May 12 beginning at 6:45pm in Buhler Hall Foyer. Please join us for an evening of live music, delectable Hors D'oeuvres & Desserts and our feature documentary; 'Strength For Today... Bright Hope for Tomorrow - An MCI Story', featuring stories of alumni from 1948 – present. You are not going to want to miss it! Tickets are free, with donation opportunities available at various points throughout the evening. To reserve your tickets please visit our website www.mciblues.net or call MCI at (204)327-5891.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcement for April 22 2018
Special Event: Stories of relief from Syria
Tuesday, April 24, 7 pm
159 Henderson Hwy, Winnipeg
Join us at Sam’s Place to hear stories of relief in Syria from MCC staff recently returned from a visit to the country with live music, free dessert, coffee and tea. For more information visit mccmb.ca/Stories-from-Syria.
Special Event: The Bible, justice, and the Palestine-Israel conflict
Wednesday, April 25, 7 pm
2299 Grant Ave, Winnipeg
Join Canadian Friends of Sabeel and Rev. Dr. Naim Ateek at Marpeck Commons, Canadian Mennonite University for the Manitoba launch of Rev. Ateek’s most recent book addressing theology of land in Palestine and Israel from a non-violent and reconciliatory perspective.
Hosts needed - MCC Manitoba is seeking hosts for female participants in IVEP (International Volunteer Exchange Program) for an 11 month period beginning in September 2018. Hosts are needed in the Elmwood/Kildonan and Central Winnipeg areas and/or neighbourhoods with good access to bus routes. For more information visit mccmb.ca/ivep and contact Katie Laban at 204-925-1929 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Grow Hope with us!
This spring, we invite you to join us to help end hunger by sponsoring a Grow Hope acre. Because of government matching, every gift grows providing relief to people facing food insecurity, drought and displacement. We’re so grateful for your unprecedented support last year as MCC responded with food supplies in many areas of conflict and disaster. Find out more about Grow Hope and join the movement at mccmb.ca/growhope or call 204-261-6381.
Cycle Clear Lake - Calling all cyclists! Come out to Riding Mountain National Park for a beautiful trail ride in support of MCC water projects in Lebanon on Saturday, July 7. Registration deadline is June 18. For more information and to register online visit mccmb.ca/cycleclearlake or phone Reinhold at 204-729-8335.
Canadian Mennonite University cmu.ca
1. Graduation Weekend: CMU celebrated 80 graduates this weekend (70 students with diverse Undergraduate degrees and 10 students having completed MA degrees in Theology, Ministry and Peacebuilding-Development). CMU extends deep gratitude for the broad network of support and prayer that has sustained an enriching academic year.
2. Youth, Youth Pastors and Sponsors - sixpointeight 2018: Equipping Peacebuilders is nearly here! (Sunday, Apr. 29, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM). Register by Tuesday, Apr. 24 and plan to join young people from across Manitoba for this day of worship and inspiring Ted Talks - all to equip us as peacebuilders in the way of Jesus. Go to cmu.ca/sixpointeight for information and to register.
3. Rev. Dr. Naim Ateek, a Palestinian Christian theologian, who will introduce his new book, The Bible, Justice, and the Palestine-Israel Conflict, and with it a call for Biblically rooted, non-violent peacebuilding in this fractured context. Marpeck Commons, Apr. 25 at 7:00 PM.
4. Experience the artistic vision of Anthony Chiarella and Faye Hall as they reimagine the power of poetry to create meaning in our lives. Poetical Movement within Art is being showcased until Saturday, May 5 at CMU’s MHC Gallery at 610 Shaftesbury Blvd. See www.cmu.ca/gallery.
5. Canadian Mennonite University invites inquiries and applications for the full-time salaried positions of Maintenance Manager and Program Manager, Outtatown Discipleship School. Inquiries should be directed to email@example.com , 204-594-0532.
6. Each year in June CMU’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding (CSOP) invites the peacebuilders of the world to gather over two weeks for a selection of five-day courses. Consider taking a course for professional and personal development or for academic credit and deepen your understanding and commitment to reconciliation and peace. For more information, go to csop.cmu.ca or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Registration is now open for the Summer Music Academy for voice and piano at CMU’s Community School of Music and the Arts. Join us for a jam packed week of exciting music making as you explore your instrument and learn new skills. The Academy runs July 16-20 (ages 12- 15 years old) and July 25-27 (15-18 years old). For more info visit cmu.ca/csma.
8. Online registration is now open for CMU Blazers Summer Sports Camps 2018!
· Aug. 7-9: Junior (grades 4-7) futsal camp
· Aug. 13-17: Youth (grades 8-10) volleyball and basketball camps
· Aug. 20-24: Junior High (grades 6-8) volleyball and basketball camps
MC Manitoba Announcements
Watch the CTV morning show Monday April 23 starting at 6:00am as they go on-location at Camp Assiniboia. They will interview staff and campers as well as feature our facilities.
CHALLENGE TO THE CHURCHES: Can we get YOUR church to sponsor a week at camp…and provide the support staff (or a portion of the support staff) that week? Each week’s support staff includes a camp pastor, kitchen and maintenance help, and a health officer. Talk to your small group, your friends, your committees and come join our camp community!
Campers still welcome! Some of our weeks are filling up, but there is still plenty of room for campers of all ages to experience God, community and creation at Koinonia and Assiniboia this summer. Head to www.campswithmeaning.org to register today!
Faith and Life Choirs Spring Concert: "Send Forth Thy Spirit" on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 7 p.m. at Bethel Mennonite Church in Winnipeg and on Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 3 p.m. at Steinbach Mennonite Church in Steinbach, Manitoba.
Mennonite Women Manitoba invite you to Resilience Road: struggles, steps and strategies, a day for women. April 28, 9:30-3:00 at the Charleswood Mennonite Church. Resource person; Dr. Moira Somers Ph.D Clinical Neuropsychologist. To register email or call Kathy Giesbrecht email@example.com 204-896-1616 ext; 268 by April 20th. Registration fee; $50.00 ( includes lunch) More information at www.mennochurch.mb.ca Event page.
17th Annual Birding Retreat at Turtle Mountain Bible Camp, May 24-27th (Koinonia is unavailable this spring). Key activities: birding around camp, a visit to Whitewater Lake, and worship times. Choose an early start Thursday evening and spend all-day Friday on a special trip to the Melita/Pierson area. Dennis Fast, well-known birder and photographer and Heidi den Haan, biologist and birder will be leading us in sessions on birding. Brochure attached.
Sie sind herzlich eingeladen am Sonntagmorgen um 7.30 Uhr (CFAM / CHSM / CJRB) Frohe Botschaft einzuschalten, eine Sendung die von Mennonite Church Manitoba produziert wird. Im April bringt Prediger Hermann Dueck aus der Douglas Mennoniten Gemeinde und Seelsorger in Concordia Village in Winnipeg eine Serie von Predigten für die Osterzeit.
Please join us for Frohe Botschaft, a German language worship service produced by Mennonite Church Manitoba and broadcast on Sunday morning at 7:30 on CFAM / CHSM / CJRB. The speaker in April is Pastor Hermann Dueck from Douglas Mennonite Church and Chaplain in Concordia Village in Winnipeg.
Story and Song Circle @ Home Street Mennonite Church: Participatory story tellers and singer song writers are invited to bring their original short stories and songs to a gathering of artistically inclined writers and musician/singers to share around a circle for peer-led improvement. Join in on the last Sunday of the month (April 29), 7 pm, at Home Street MC, 318 Home St. For more details contact Dan Dyck via firstname.lastname@example.org.