WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Theme: The Minor Prophets: A Closer Look at God’s Heart
Date May 27, 2018 – 10:45 a.m.
Focus Statement: God’s “wrath” and God’s love are inescapable. God is just and will judge – that is what we call “God’s wrath”. God is sovereign and in control – that leads to God’s salvation.
GATHERING AS GOD’S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our hope, faith and life.
Call to Worship and Opening Prayer
STJ 16 Praise with joy the world’s Creator
HWB 324 Seek ye first the kingdom of God
Scripture Reading – Nahum 1: 12 - 15
Prayer and Offering
PROCLAIMING GOD’S WORD
Children’s story – Bev Unger
Scripture Reading – Nahum 2: 1 – 6 and 3:18 - 19
Sermon – “The Invitation – and warning – is for everyone!” Daryl Climenhaga
RESPONDING TO GOD’S WORD
Song of Response
HWB 151 Marvelous grace of our loving Lord
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
HWB 323 Beyond a dying sun
Worship Leader – Marg Rempel
Song Leaders – Val and Ed Peters, Bev Rogers
Organist / Pianist – Karen Peters
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Victor Janzen and Peter Koop who is in Bethesda Hospital.
Congratulations to Pastor Lee & Rachel Hiebert on the birth of their girl, Adeline Rose, on May 20th. Pastor Lee will be back in his office June 4th.
“Thank you for the visits and prayers, during my stay in the hospital after my fall; also for the many visits, food and encouragement now that I’m at home. I really appreciate you all.” Dorothy Fehr
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
The Rejoice Daily Devotional is up for renewal. Please check your mailbox for more information. If you’re interested in starting a new subscription, please the church office.
Manigotagan: We are in the process of planning our annual trip to Manigotagan. We plan to take a group this August 20-26. See the sign-up sheet at the Welcome Centre, and talk to Lee or Daryl if you are interested in helping with the week!
COIN COLLECTION OFFERING - During the month of May the children will be collecting coins during the offering time, in support of the Canadian Foodgrains Bank through our local Abundant Harvest Growing Project. Thank you for your sharing generously.
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
May 21 - 26, 2018 - Our Giving:
Budget $ 3,796.00 CFGB: $245.12 MCC: $50.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Family Volleyball
Mon, May 28, 6:45 p.m. Men’s Volleyball
7:00 p.m. Education & Ministries Committee meeting in MPR
7:00 p.m. Administration Committee meeting at Pennlite
Wed. May 30, 7:00 p.m. Pastoral Relations Committee meeting in Room 115
Sat. June 2, 7:45 a.m. Men’s Prayer Breakfast at Uncle Jake’s. We hope to see you there.
8:30 a.m. SMC Women’s Breakfast at Smitty’s. Women of all ages welcome!
Sun, June2, Scripture Text: Obadiah. All of it!
June 3, SMC Annual Golf Tournament. Call Elmer Kehler if interested.
June 5, 7:00 p.m. Faith & Life Committee meeting in MPR
June 6, 7:00 p.m. Worship Committee meeting in MPR
June 10, Church Picnic. See insert for details.
June 21, 7:00 p.m. Town Hall Congregational Meeting. If you attend SMC, you are invited. You can find more info in your mailbox.
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s are done for the summer. Look for information about the summer BBQ coming soon.
· Adult SS “Current Events” in MPR
· Adult SS Bible Study in Room 109 (Music Room)
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Great news! On behalf of the Steinbach and Area Ministerial Association (SAMA) I’m pleased to introduce our new Bethesda Chaplain to you - Lydia Summerville. Lydia will begin her fulltime chaplaincy ministry June 4. She will overlap for a month orientation with Larry Hirst, before he retires after 17 years.
May 27, 7:00 p.m. Maestros Yuri Klaz and Mel Braun, together with the choirs of Sargent Mennonite Church and First Mennonite Church, invite you to a free SPRING CHORAL CONCERT at First Mennonite Church, 922 Notre Dame Avenue in Winnipeg.
June 3, 2:00 p.m. Accent: Spring Series, performing their concert on, at the Mennonite Heritage Village. Tickets are $10.00 and available at the Steinbach Arts Centre or at the door.
June 10, 3:00 – 8:00 p.m. Camps with Meaning Fun-a-thon: Carnival and Concert to raise funds for a new shop at Camp Assiniboia. See poster for details.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcement for May 27, 2018
Special Event: Responding to need in DR Congo
Tuesday, May 29, 7:30 pm
1771 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg
Join us at Fort Garry MB Church to hear Bruce Guenther, MCC director of disaster response, and Rick Cober Bauman, MCC Canada executive director, share about MCC’s relief response to the crisis in DR Congo’s Kasai region. RSVP to Elizabeth Kessler by May 28 at 204-261-6381 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Cycle Clear Lake - Calling all cyclists! Come out to Riding Mountain National Park for a beautiful trail ride in support of MCC water projects in Lebanon on Saturday, July 7. Registration deadline is June 18. For more information and to register online visit mccmb.ca/cycleclearlake or phone Reinhold at 204-729-8335.
MCC Manitoba Golf Tournament
July 11, 2018
10 River Road, Starbuck
Join us at Bridges Golf Course for our 16th annual golf tournament in support of MCC's local work with vulnerable youth. The tournament includes on-course contests, a delicious Mennonite dinner and great prizes. For more information and to register, visit mccmb.ca/golf or call 204-261-6381. Register by June 13 to meet the early bird deadline.
MCC welcomes applications for canner operators based in Akron, Pennsylvania. Canner operators complete two-year volunteer terms. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/canner-operator
MCC invites your prayers for the people of Gaza. In the past weeks, Israeli military forces have killed over 100 Palestinians and injured thousands more. Pray for an end to the killing, healing for the injured, comfort for the grieving, and a commitment from all parties to work for a just and lasting peace. Join together in a call for justice by signing on at mcccanada.ca/gaza
Canadian Mennonite University
1. CMU Alumni and friends are invited to “One Last Dinner with Ted”, Friday, June 15, 5:00 – 7:00 PM, CMU Dining Hall. Ted is retiring (and this will be an opportunity to bid farewell) but he is excited to prepare one more dinner of his famous chicken fingers and fries and conference cookies. Gluten free and vegetarian options also available. Admission by donation to the CMU Alumni Bursary Fund. RSVP to email@example.com by 5:00 PM on Friday, June 8.
2. Attend a Public Lecture on A Transformative Spirituality for Peacebuilding by Dr. Fernando Enns, Professor of Theology and Ethics at Vrije Universiteit (Free University) in Amsterdam, Netherlands; a member of the World Council of Churches Central Committee; and of the Mennonite Church in Hamburg Germany. Dr. Enns is teaching a course entitled ‘Justice and Peace – Ecumenical Horizons’ at CMU’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding from June 11-15. Join us for his lecture: 7:00 PM, Wednesday, June 13 at CMU’s Marpeck Commons, 2299 Grant Ave.
3. Golf with a purpose! Sign up for the 17th Annual CMU Golf Classic, Tuesday, June 19 at the Kingswood Golf and Country Club in La Salle, MB. RSVP soon as spaces are limited. Contact Joyce Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. There is still time to enrol in courses offered by CMU’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding, which runs June 11-15 and 18-22. Visit csop.cmu.ca for course information.
5. CMU and CommonWord invite you to the following book launches:
· Hope, Healing and Community: Celebrating 50 Years of Eden Health Care Services on May 29 with author Glen Klassen.
· Conflict Resolution in Asia: Mediation and Other Cultural Models on May 30 with author Stephanie Stobbe.
Both launches are at 7:00 PM at Marpeck Commons, 2299 Grant Ave. See cmu.ca/events for more information.
6. Plan to attend the inaugural Canadian Conference on Ecclesiology and Ethnography. Join academics, students, and practitioners in exploring the dynamic relationship between theological reflection and the lived experience of the church. June 6-8 at CMU. For more information see cmu.ca/eandeconference.
7. CMU invites inquiries and applications for the full-time salaried positions of Donor and Alumni Relations Coordinator, Assistant Director of Food Services and Facilities, Lead Technician. Inquiries should be directed to email@example.com or 204-594-0532.
MC Manitoba Announcements
Camps with Meaning Fun-a-thon: Carnival and Concert to raise funds for a new shop at Camp Assiniboia. June 10, 3:00pm – 8:00pm at Fort Garry Mennonite Fellowship. Afternoon fun for all ages including: petting zoo, competition seed spitting, games for kids; followed by Coffee and a Concert with great musicians. Visit www.campswithmeaning.org/funathon for more info.
Calling all Cookie Bakers! At the Fun-A-Thon on June 10th we are hosting the Great Camp Cookie Table! All you need to do is bake 3 doz (or more) of your version of a Great Camp Cookie and drop them off at the MCM office the week before. We will sell them as part of the fundraising efforts at the Fun-A-Thon. Contact Kathy Giesbrecht at the MCM office for the details. firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-896-1616
Sing songs of peace! Come join fellow Mennonites at Winnipeg's 37th annual Walk for Peace. Gather at the west side of the legislative building at noon, Saturday, June 16. Walk begins at 12:30. Feel free to bring your church banner along, with your singing voices for songs of peace and praise. For more info: email@example.com