WELCOME TO OUR WORSHIP SERVICE
Theme: The Minor Prophets: A Closer Look at God’s Heart
Date June 3, 2018 – 10:45 a.m.
Focus Statement: God judges Edom/Esau for celebrating Judah's downfall. Don't rejoice in your enemy's distress. Rather, reach out and help where you can. "Weep with those who weep." God will judge and restore everyone alike.
GATHERING AS GOD’S PEOPLE
Welcome and Lamp lighting
We light a light in the name of the God who creates life, the Son who loves life, and the Spirit who is the fire of life. Thanks be to God who unites us in our hope, faith and life.
Call to Worship and Opening Prayer
As we gather
We choose to love
Scripture Reading – Obadiah 1 - 14
Prayer and Offering – “Unity” by JD Martin (song leaders only)
PROCLAIMING GOD’S WORD
Children’s story – Marg Rempel
Heart with loving heart united (HWB #420)
Scripture Reading – Obadiah 15 - 21
Sermon – "He ain't heavy. He's my brother." Daryl Climenhaga
RESPONDING TO GOD’S WORD
Song of Response
Bless’d be the tie that binds (HWB #421)
Congregational Life and Sharing
SENDING GOD’S PEOPLE
Song of Sending
Go in peace
Worship Leader – Val Peters
Song Leaders – Kendra & Scott Friesen, Kayla & Toni Hiebert
Organist / Pianist – Margarete Dyck
PRAYER & PRAISE
Please pray for:
· Victor Janzen and Peter Koop who is in Bethesda Hospital.
· Hildegard Adrian, Peter Dyck, Tina Nikkel, Jessie Peters,
Helen Warkentin, Anne Unger (Bethesda Place)
· Susie Loewen has moved to Greenwood in Grunthal
CHURCH FAMILY INFORMATION
Manigotagan: We are in the process of planning our annual trip to Manigotagan. We plan to take a group this August 20-26. See the sign-up sheet at the Welcome Centre, and talk to Lee or Daryl if you are interested in helping with the week!
Gym Comm. Contact: Isbrand Fehr
May 27 - 31, 2018 - Our Giving:
Budget $ 5,337.00 CFGB: $283.87 MCC: $100.00
SMC THIS WEEK
Today, Family Volleyball will resume in September
Mon, June 4, NO Men’s Volleyball
Tues. June 5, 3:00 p.m. Hospitality Committee meeting in kitchenette
7:00 p.m. Faith & Life Committee meeting in MPR
Wed. June 6, 7:00 p.m. Worship Committee meeting in MPR
Sun, June 10, Scripture Text: Hag. 1:2-9; Zech. 8:11-17 + Mark 6:30-44
June 10, 10:00 a.m. Church Picnic at Mitchell Park (Rain or shine).
Cash donations will be gratefully accepted at the picnic lunch to raise funds for our church retreat in Oct. In order to be eco-conscious, please bring your own water bottle/travel mug to the church picnic. Coffee and water will be supplied.
June 12, 7:00 p.m. Church Board meeting in MPR
June 13, 7:00 p.m. SMC Women invites all women to a baby shower in the SMC gym to celebrate the arrival of Adeline Rose, born to Lee & Rachel Hiebert. If your last name begins with the letter from A-L please bring an appetizer, if it begins with M- Z please bring a dessert. If you prefer to bring a monetary gift there will be an envelope to accommodate this. For more info call Marie Rempel .
June 21, 7:00 p.m. Town Hall Congregational Meeting. If you attend SMC, you are invited. You can find more info in your mailbox.
SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages
9:30 a.m. Sunday School for all ages
· Children meet in the kitchenette
· Youth meet in lounge (off the kitchenette)
· 20’s & 30’s are done for the summer. Look for information about the summer BBQ coming soon.
· Adult SS “Current Events” in MPR
· Adult SS Bible Study in Room 109 (Music Room)
COMMUNITY & CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENTS
The MANITOBA FOOD HISTORY TRUCK will be in Steinbach (at the Mennonite Heritage Village) from 17 June through 7 July. You are invited to schedule a visit to the Food History Truck -- to cook a recipe that is memorable for you, while sharing your life story. For more details, and to schedule a visit, please see https://www.manitobafoodhistory.ca/would-you-like-to-be-interviewed-for-the-manitoba-food-history-project.
Come cook and chat with us!
June 10, 3:00 – 8:00 p.m. Camps with Meaning Fun-a-thon: Carnival and Concert to raise funds for a new shop at Camp Assiniboia. See poster for details.
SMC VISION STATEMENT
Steinbach Mennonite Church is faithfully following Christ in worship and service by making disciples, building community and reaching out to the world.
One Hope Canada, formerly Canadian Sunday School Mission, is seeking an individual with a servant heart to join our team as our Ministry Resource Centre (MRC) Administrative Assistant in Winnipeg. This is a part-time position currently at 15 hours/week with a possibility to increase to 20 hours/week in the future.
We would love for you to share this ministry opportunity with your congregation. Attached a bulletin insert that you can print and cut in half. I am also including links to the job posting and job description if you would like to link this on your website or print a copy for your bulletin board.
More information can be found on our website at https://onehopecanada.ca/careers/
MCC Manitoba Bulletin Announcement for June 3, 2018
MCC Manitoba Golf Tournament
July 11, 2018
10 River Road, Starbuck
Join us at Bridges Golf Course for our 16th annual golf tournament in support of MCC's local work with vulnerable youth. A discounted rate is available for students and professionals aged 30 and under. For more information and to register, visit mccmb.ca/golf or call 204-261-6381. Register by June 13 to meet the early bird deadline.
Putting together a kit for MCC? Our kit contents have changed. See mcccanada.ca/kits or contact your nearest material resources centre, in Winnipeg or Plum Coulee, for kit cards with itemized lists and instructions.
MCC welcomes applications for canner operators based in Akron, Pennsylvania. Canner operators complete two-year volunteer terms. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/canner-operator
MCC Canada welcomes applications for Program Assistant based in Winnipeg. Applications are accepted until June 11. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/program-assistant.
MC Manitoba Announcements
Camps with Meaning Fun-a-thon: Carnival and Concert to raise funds for a new shop at Camp Assiniboia. June 10, 3:00pm – 8:00pm at Fort Garry Mennonite Fellowship. Afternoon fun for all ages including: petting zoo, competition seed spitting, games for kids; followed by Coffee and a Concert with great musicians. Visit www.campswithmeaning.org/funathon for more info.
Calling all Cookie Bakers! At the Fun-A-Thon on June 10th we are hosting the Great Camp Cookie Table! All you need to do is bake 3 doz. (or more) of your version of a Great Camp Cookie and drop them off at the MCM office the week before. We will sell them as part of the fundraising efforts at the Fun-A-Thon. Contact Kathy Giesbrecht at the MCM office for the details. firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-896-1616
Wed June 6, at 7 pm, the book The Russian Mennonite Story will be launched at the Mennonite Heritage Archives, 610 Shaftesbury Blvd, Winnipeg. With great photos and accessible text, the book offers a rare glimpse into the prosperity, sorrow, and rebirth of the Mennonite story in Russia and Ukraine. Aileen Friesen will speak about the book and be on hand to sign copies. Call 204 487-3300 ext 345 for more details.
Sing songs of peace! Come join fellow Mennonites at Winnipeg's 37th annual Walk for Peace. Gather at the west side of the legislative building at noon, Saturday, June 16. Walk begins at 12:30. Feel free to bring your church banner along, with your singing voices for songs of peace and praise. For more info: email@example.com
Mennonite Church Canada is seeking an Executive Minister to lead our nationwide church. We invite your prayers for the process and for the person God is calling to this role. The Search Committee would be pleased to receive your suggestions for possible candidates. Inquiries or suggestions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking to the Lord, and listening to the Spirit as we discern together.
[see www.commonword.ca/go/1551 for the job description.]
Canadian Mennonite University
1. CMU Alumni and friends are invited to “One Last Dinner with Ted”, Friday, June 15, 5:00 – 7:00 PM, CMU Dining Hall. Ted is retiring (and this will be an opportunity to bid farewell) but he is excited to prepare one more dinner of his famous chicken fingers and fries and conference cookies. Gluten free and vegetarian options also available. Admission by donation to the CMU Alumni Bursary Fund. RSVP to email@example.com by 5:00 PM on Friday, June 8.
2. Attend a Public Lecture on A Transformative Spirituality for Peacebuilding by Dr. Fernando Enns, Professor of Theology and Ethics at Vrije Universiteit (Free University) in Amsterdam, Netherlands; a member of the World Council of Churches Central Committee; and of the Mennonite Church in Hamburg Germany. Dr. Enns is teaching a course entitled ‘Justice and Peace – Ecumenical Horizons’ at CMU’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding from June 11-15. Join us for his lecture: 7:00 PM, Wednesday, June 13 at CMU’s Marpeck Commons, 2299 Grant Ave.
3. Golf with a purpose! Sign up for the 17th Annual CMU Golf Classic, Tuesday, June 19 at the Kingswood Golf and Country Club in La Salle, MB. RSVP soon as spaces are limited. Contact Joyce Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Stay connected with CMU, Folio Café and the CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre - one location where you may buy, borrow, download, consult and link to Anabaptist and related materials! Visit www.commonword.ca and come visit us! Bring a friend and this bulletin to get 25% off coffee or gelato at Folio Café!
5. Plan to attend the inaugural Canadian Conference on Ecclesiology and Ethnography. Join academics, students, and practitioners in exploring the dynamic relationship between theological reflection and the lived experience of the church. June 6-8 at CMU. For more information see cmu.ca/eandeconference.
6. Online registration is now open for CMU Blazers Summer Sports Camps 2018!
· Aug. 7-9: Junior (grades 4-7) futsal camp
· Aug. 13-17: Youth (grades 8-10) volleyball and basketball camps
· Aug. 20-24: Junior High (grades 6-8) volleyball and basketball camps